what are the steps of algea in a new tank?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

andre3983

by andre3983

i have a new 55 gallon tank im getting this black slime, is this part of the matureing stage? and when should i change my carbon in my fluval 405?

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I change my carbon regularly maybe once a month or so. algae is a part of a cycle process, but black slime maybe not.
What are your nitrate levels like,
What are your phosphate levels like
What are your bulb spectrum
How old are your bulbs
These things are the main factors for algae blooms.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

algae.......then a few weeks later.......algae.......few weeks later.....algae.......few weeks later.......algae. Its going to happen for the first few months.....i still get algae outbreaks.......and ive had my tank up for 10 months...almost. They happen.......and when you start out.......they happen often and massively. just run your protein skimmer...and do water changes......theres nothing much more that you can do.......you can get a clean up crew....but they arent as effective as you would hope. Ive seen people through hundreds into getting rid of algae......you cant...and if you do....its only because your filtering the water at a massive rate.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i've seen black slime once.............it was in a 90 gallon wave front tank at a former LFS, he swore that we didn't need crazy high flow filtration and lots of curent in the tanks................i can't speak for your tank or your maint practices but - - - his tank had very low flow{not even one power head}, poor filtration and low standard issue fresh water flouresant lights {that were probably original equipment} It was a fish only tank with fake decor and no live rock....all he did was massive 50-75 % water changes with non RO or RO/DI water ..............so if any of these things are in your daily goings on with your tank...........i would look into upgrades and maint changes..............black slime is bad IMO . green, brown, red are natural progressions in a cycle and then return when our water parameters swing to far out of tolerance

good luck '

Boss

4 posts