EMERGENCY --- murderous shrimp

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

okay so i have this peppermint shrimp i got like 3 or 4 weeks ago that i got for aiptasia, well thats all gone and now hte bastard is killing and eating my astrea snails!! what do i do i think i only have 2 of 6 snails left.... do i take the peppermint back???

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

im going to boil this bastard
5fac5-100_2595.JPG
e8238-100_2592.JPG
3ee2e-100_2591.JPG

newbie916

by newbie916

You could try feeding the little bastard. I usually drop in an extra silverside when I feed my anemone for the inverts. However, my emerald and hermits have been eating my snails as well. I just figure it's part of the natural cycle and I'll just buy some more. I have noticed less predatorial tendencies if I feed them

fihsboy

by fihsboy

you know what I did when mine was eating my corals........caught the little fu@# put him on the ground outside....and steped on him. THEN i fed him to the other peppermint shrimp....they got the idea....they were all following this asshole.and eating and pecking at my corals...SO i made an example of him...and none of them do that anymore...The thing is.....peppermint shrimp and camelback shrimp are almost identical...except one is reef safe and one isnt. The difference between them is so subtle....most fish stores sell both of them as peppermint shrimp because you cant tell the difference without knowing what your looking for. Pull the little shit out....take him back if your humane.....if your like me.......feed him to your fish.......and the remaining snails will get there vengence.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

haha.that sob.atleast yours ate the aiptasia, mine might be to large idk, also i belive ther are 2 types of pepperment shrimp from two diffrent oceans, not including the camele back. a few years ago i caught my shrimp eating my yumas i had to tear the whole reef apart to get the prick,my cats enjoyed the snack..
i do agree with newbie try to feed them a little bit and they wont be so destructive but on the other hand , when you sleep they go coral to coral, tasting them,pulling small chunks of flesh from you 70 dollar corals.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i think friday is the soonest day that i can get him back to the fish store... k so im prolly going to try and replenish my snail and crab population when i get rid of this fucker..... what is the easiest way to catch him??

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

google shrimp trap ,there is a bunch of diy stuff on the web, or you could buy one or take the rocks out and grab the fucker by his whiskers..

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

shit i think ill take my chances on just using my fish net

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

if you can get him that way, do it,they are sneaky ,so be quick, mine now will not even show his face durring the day, and at night when i get near the tank it runs for the rocks...good luck with the net thing..heheh,i wish they where like cleaner/fire shrimp they will go right in your hand..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You could always just buy a nice long nose hawkfish. :) It would be fun to watch the hawk go after that shrimp. :) here is what I did.....I got a TALLLLLL shot glass. filled it with some food...and let him go into it. Put the net over the glass and BAM you have a a$#hole of a shrimp. :)

11 posts • Page 1 of 2