Adding more Live Rock

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

Adding more Live Rock

by newbie916

I'm thinking about adding another 40lbs or so of LR to the center of my tank. I want to add another shelf to put some more corals and clams. I was thinking about buying it from Craigslist. If it's from an established tank, how should I add it to my tank? Should I rinse it in some clean saltwater before placing it in my tank. I just don't want it to crash my tank. I'm also hoping to increase the efficiency of my biological filter.

How would you guys add it?

Thanks,

gumbii

by gumbii

when it's from an established tank i usually just shake it up in the bucket of old water and then throw it in my tank...

i don't know if it's smart but i do it like that anyway...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

to me it would depend on how far along my tank was................right now, no way no how would i put live rock in my tank without running it through a cycle, to risky, if the guy is selling out, why? how well did he maintain things in the end? are there going to be nasty little hitch hikers -aipastia, algaes, deseases??? - - -if your tank is relatively new and not established, the risk is a little less - - - i woulod still QT it for at least a week, but thats just me

5 gallon tub from wally world, small heater, power head and some air stones and let it go for a week or so then see what comes off of it - - -50% water change every other day

Boss

newbie916

by newbie916

I will probably do that depending on what condition the stuff looks like. He's got some nice frags for sale, but I'll check it out. Thanks guys for the tips.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Newbie, don't go on looks,i just bought some rock 3 weeks ago or longer,i have nothing in my tank but rock and sand, right now i am fighting isopods(that kill fish) 1 huge fireworm,apastisa anemones, and a small amount of bubble algae, quarintine no matter what, for atleast 3 weeks imo...

swp

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have bubble algae.........I kinda like it really. :) sounds gay.....but it adds to the tank a little bit. then when you get tired of it.....just pop them and there gone...until they grow back. haha.

newbie916

by newbie916

Thanks guys, yep damn bubble algae is like poppin pimples.haha The guy hasn't called me back anyways, but I'll probably pick up some and quarantine it first.

Adding more Live Rock

7 posts