General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 1 of 18

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

How's it going guys (and girls)

I'm Will, I'm in my third year at Central Michigan University and I'm about to pick up my first tank today (50 gal). I've been looking all around at a ton of fishtanks on here and I decided I'm going with freshwater.

This is what I want to model it after: http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php/6521

My questions are:

A. Is my over-the-back filter going to suck up that crushed coral and destroy it?
B. How do I stack rocks like that, I assume it's mighty heavy (do I have to worry about the glass breaking?) and how do I stop them from tumbling?

In addition,

I've tried to send some people messages asking the same questions and they've responded to me.. but how the hell do I open up their messages? I can't click the lil notepad graphic and if I click their name it goes to their personal page? any ideas?

Thanks!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

the messager thing is a little messed up, when you clic reply it doesn't automatically put the subject in and if you don't type one in then the person you sent it to can't open it, happened to me a few times...........

that being said, welcome to the hobby and the site on behalf of everyone

I am not a fresh water guy but love to talk tanks, lol,

the questions you asked are basic to all tanks, the filter will suck up substatrate and detonate a filter, BUT, only if you put the pick up to close to it, so as long as your 3-5 inches off the bottom and don't have a powerhead blowing sand at it, you'll be fine

stacking rocks, well it really is as simple as doing it in the front yard, make sure the bottom rocks are good and large and are "squished" into the sand so they don't move, from there, start stacking..............some people drill and pin there rock together with epoxy and acrylic dowels, some even zip tie it together. just make sure your fish, crabs or snails can't knock em over and you'll be fine there too................the jury is out on touching the glass, I don't have any rock touching my glass so i can clean around them, some people say absolutly do not touch the glass because of a stress point and possable crack causeing situation and ive seen other tanks with rock all the way up the side or back, so i think it's a matter of preferance and care - - - but it is much easier to clean around if it's not touching the glass - - -algae spots are nasty things to look at, lol

Good luck!!!!!

Snowboss

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

Ok, here's an update. No fish yet and I decided to get a 29 gallon now with a new stand instead of the used 50 gallon (this way I know that's its all sufficient equipment cuz I bought it myself).... No crushed coral because talking to the guy at the fish store it will raise the ph of the fish tank and hurt my fish. First stretch of fish will be coming in a few days and black slate rock to stack up in the boring corner is coming in 2 days. I will post up pics when I get new fish and the slate rock, but here is the progress for now:

(sorry for the bad quality, can't find my camera and this is off of my phone)

note the cool ass skeleton that drinks the rum bottle with the help of his bubbling private parts.
d8175-Fishtank 1.jpeg
6cff0-Fishtank 2.jpeg

miami754

by miami754

Crushed coral does raise your pH, but the tank you were trying to model yours after was an African cichlid tank. Those fish prefer a high pH so that is why it is a good choice for them. If you are not going to keep African cichlids then the guy at the store was right. If you are then he was wrong about it hurting your fish.

Good luck. The tank looks like a good start. What are you planning on stocking it with?

Welcome to the site as well.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

I'm not really quite sure what I plan on stocking it with, the guy at the fish store def knows his stuff, I've had quite long conversations with him. (he specifically said that was more for african chichlids)

I'm brand new to this and don't quite know specific fish but the guy at the fish store has like a three step plan for me, I'm going to put live plants and basic fish in at first to start a ecosystem in there, then in a week, another round of fish, and then the week following that, my final fish that I actually want.

I'm extremely partial to bright neon color fish, but I want them to be decent size (atleast 3-4 inches with some bulk to them) obviously they'll need time to grow.. but do you guys have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them.

by the way guys, note my water level in the tank.. is that not enough? just right? kinda looks a lil bit low to me but what the hell do I know?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I like to keep my water above the black trim....it looks nice that way. :)

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i personally despise fake decor..... i would go out and get a nice pice of "show" driftwood
some slate a whatnot for your decor....

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well..those mbuna would have been 3-6'' with some bulk, would've done o-k in a 50gal, and would've allowed for the crushed coral instead of this drastically different look you seem to have bought into impulsively because of your friendly LFS associate =P

What is it exactly he's suggesting you do with the first two ''rounds'' of fish...after you get the 3rd ''round'' you ''actually want''...?

Plants will absorb ammonia and lengthen your cycle btw. I'm not sure why he would tell you to add them first..

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

Tmercier, don't be a hater. I bought all the aspects of the "impulsive" different look at a completely different store then the one I talk to the fish guy at. And whatever fish I feel look cool. Get off my thread.

a1k8t3- The slate is on order. I personally despise driftwood.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I have to ask the same question here bigwill, on this site and most other sites i've been to we all stress the bad husbandry in cycleing tanks with live fish, it is very stressful and in most cases deadly to the "host" fish. It has for years been a normal practice though and is just something most of us disagree with strongly. no one is attacking you in anyway.................

a good LFS is hard to find, so if you have a knowledgeable one that spends time with you consider yourself lucky, but remember, the bottom line is that they are in business to make money and sometimes can lead you in a direction that although will work has other options that might not pad their pockets, but is better for fish all around.

Again, no one here is attacking you, we just like to give the best advise from the aquarist perspective not the business perspective.............actually some of what we may consider "proper" techniques actually can cost more than what an LFS might suggest......especially in a salt system

anyway, you are off to a great start and sound like your seeking out all the advise you can...............make well informed choices and enjoy the hobby

Boss

176 posts • Page 1 of 18