Impossible or not?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

Impossible or not?

by littlej2455

How hard is it really to have an achilles tang?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Definitely not impossible, but certainly not an easy to keep fish. I think the size of your tank would provide him enough place to swim, but a 150+ would be even better. You have to have pristine water condition for this tang. Tons of live rocks with bunch of good stuff on them, so he can graze all day long. This fish wouldn't survive without good esthablished live rocks. Also your system must be mature, with no swings( Ph, temp.)
Just think twice before you spend the dough, cuz it's not the cheapest fish out there..IMO

schigara

by schigara

I was actually talking with the owner of one of my LFS's today about this very thing. He said in the past year and 12 Achille's sold, only 2 survived.

I asked what he thought the success of the 2 could be. He said 1 went in a 210g tank that was almost 3 years old and the other went in a 300g tank at about 2 years old and both aquarists had 7 and 12 years experience, respectively. I asked what he thought was more important, the age of the tank or the experience of the aquarist and he said he thought the age and maturity of the tank was most important and the experience was important as well.

The Achilles is my favorite Tang but I won't attempt one until I have at least a 7 foot long tank that has been running at least a 18months.

From all I have seen, heard and read, Powder Blue Tangs are a cakewalk in comparison to an Achilles.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

yeah i like the powder blue tangs too and I also heard that they were easier than the achilles tang. I think I will wait about another year or so until I get one. My tank has been set up for almost a year now, so that should be good enough. I was also looking into a sohal tang, becuase I think that they look really neat. I need to upload a picture of my tank with all of the fish in it, I havent done that yet.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

how is the shark doing littlej?

littlej2455

by littlej2455

he is doing really good. He is very active now. He eats twice a day and never bothers any of the other fish. I will upload some more pictures of it in about a week.

Impossible or not?

6 posts