humidity problem

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

humidity problem

by fihsboy

Okay so I got the new stand built....painted etc. I switched to my new stand yesterday and the only (real) problem I see is there is an insane amount of humidity in my sump area. You open the doors and you can feel it release into the air. I have two lights on the refuge area to keep everything growing. Its not hooked up to the main tank.....until I buy a new overflow today. But it will be tonight. Ideas on fixing the humidity problem? Or is it really a problem? I would think it would eat away at the wood. I treated it as much as possible or I painted it. Or both. haha. Thanks in advanced!

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

i have the same problem on mt current stand and right now im building a new one for my upgrade, what i plan on doing is installing fans on the sides of the stand to create an air flow through the tank. this will also help with lowering the temp of the tank during the warmer months. what you really need to watch out for is mold growth for your tanks health and yours .

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ahhhh. Yeah thats what I was thinking. So do you think two computer fans in the back exhausting the air would be enough? Or maybe out the sides?I could just get a hole cutter and make it look decent. I put four computer fans on my light fixture and they work beautifully. Two in one side and two out on the other. But if I do my tank....I could do two out due to the small holes in the doors....it would act like a suction right? Only thing im concerned about is, I kinda dont want it to look cheesy. So do you think it would be okay to mount the fans in the back of the aquarium? By the way here are some pictures. I know the stand is a little big.....I made it to hold up to a 70 tall. And it currently has a 29 on it. But guess what....I can upgrade by just buying a new tank. There is a picture of the closed loop with a mag drive 5 on it. Its a little noisy.....but its sweet.......and my six line wrasse LOVES it. clowns are kinda iffy as of now. I have two filter socks on there because I was changing them every other day and it got annoying. There are NO joints in my return line so I get the best flow possible. My overflow box broke on me when i moved my tank.....:( SO i improvised and made a new discovery. I got a lees small specimen container.....drilled a tiny hole in the back and used that as my actual overflow......HOLY CRAP it works great!!!!!!! There is a picture there. The hole was so I could connect it to my old overflow backing...with the U tube. It stays siphoned even in power outtages....I checked. :) Damn I love it when things work out. :)
beab9-Fish tank 004.JPG
a9977-Fish tank 006.JPG
de208-Fish tank 008.JPG
96687-Fish tank 009.JPG

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ohh and a couple of notes.....In the second picture..look to the right....I warn you ahead of time.......I didnt think about it. PUT A DOOR IN THE SIDE TOO!!!! I couldnt fit my sump in the front doors.....so I had to drill the side and use a jig saw....but it as well turned out awesome. And just to let you guys know this.......This is the FIRST stand (or anything) I have ever built! And you can definatly tell where my hydor koralia was in the last picture.......NO coraline algae. :( haha. And when you do this to your new stand.......I found something that is a little pricey......but effective....and could be gorgeous if its installed right. :) http://www.acousticpc.com/acoustic_cab_ ... g_kit.html

humidity problem

4 posts