Thoughts of Conservation....

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok so i felt as if the salt foroum would be best to post this.....
as im building my reef tank im starting to notice how many fish, corals and live rock are avaailable for sale but only a very small amount... guessing around 5% is aquacultured...... how much of an impact is the world of reef keeping having on the oceans out there???

just a thought.....

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Most of the stuff you get in you're local fish store is aquacultured lifeforms. Since the ban on cyanid harvesting of fish most respectable suppliers aquaculture their live stock, or harvest from the wild a small amount at a time

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I look at it this way. The more people in the hobby, the better the knowledge becomes, making it easy to breed and grow reef life. The world is killing our reefs with the pollution, global warming. We are only saving it from extinction

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I heard Atlantis in the Bahamas has a program and tank for raising corals and placing them back in the wild to help rebuild the reef in the Bahamas. They also harvest some of the coral eaters such as angels and triggers to ship them out to suppliers to sell. I am a member of www.reef-rescue.com, its to make divers aware that you shouldnt touch the reef, and the effects of pollution. We should only leave bubbles when we dive. :)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i agree with the seagull...............we have a responsabilty to provide good husbandry to our tank inhabitants. To learn as much as possable about them and give them a proper environment to live in.........and as a rule i believe most aquarists are...............and those that aren't get jumped pretty much the moment they come in here...I.E. a guy was on here a few months ago tanking about a shark and man within an hour 7-10 people told him about all the wrongs of keeping such a creature ............so again i say, responsability and good husbandry gives us the ability to show people things they may never see and who knows, if we continue to self destruct this world, we may someday be seeing posts in here requesting frags to repopulate the worlds oceans........................

LOL

Saltwaterpimp - - - world propegater ;esquire

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

EVERYONE should check out that website. They,along with 100 others, have propsed this bill to be put into legislation. Its a great idea considering everything our oceans do for us. Look into it and send it to your congressmen/women.

http://www.reefrelief.org/reefreliefnew ... _22_08.pdf

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

well you guys got me started now.i get so pissed off when people do stupid shit ,like the oil drillers ect,dumb fucks, global warming is bad enough. there is still a ton of lfs that get corals from the wild,but in a way it's almost needs to be done the way these reefs crashing left and right ,in the phillipens the blowup the coral reefs and use the fragments for roads, stupid comercal boats drop anchor right on top of reefs..in time we will see a few things happen and i bet money on it we will have to register with the goverment, corals, fish ect,and we will indeed have to help replenish the oceans..i strongly agree with every one here ..do your part frag it,trade it sell it, give it away ..and if any one needs help faging something let me know, i will do my best to help

i have been trying to build a web site for a month now on this exact shit,and all of my stuff of course. trying to write the scripts..lol i have no idea what i am doing..

swp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Pimp ...........get ahold of Serial32............he's a computer wizz............can right code and has designed web sites already................not to menton the occasional hack .........ooooppps s did i type that part??

lol

seriously though --- he knows his shit

Boss

nicholas542

by nicholas542

we'll look at the great barrier reef it's slowly getting destroyed by the crown of thorns starfish. They consume hard corals as their food source. I watched a special on the discovery channel, and they related the population influx of the star fish to nutrient runoff from farms in Australia. The chemical fertilizers they use are ending up in the ocean, and the COT starfish are reprocducing at an atronomical rate. If you see the show on the Discovery Channel watch it. I think it was in the Planet Earth series

9 posts