Im SO sick of this

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

I started with crushed coral too only b/c i had it in my fresh water tank before. I was contemplating live sand too. It's a great way to establish bio filtration but i stayed with crushed to save a little dough and reduced the depth dramatically from what it was before so buildup of detritus was reachable. I liked the ph factor of the coral. High ph can keep algae in check as well. Pimp made a good point though about certain critters not being able to drill through it as easily to help clean. All in all if you don't want to toss the coral all together, you may be able to do a 50/50 substrate(coarse bottom and fine on top) and separate with some type of mesh product. Warning though: Dead pockets may form underneath giving way to unwated algae and if left unattended can create some form of gas thats toxic to fish. It begins with an "s" i forgot the name..... not too mention a "trap for crap" raising nitrates.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

adding both substrates will have tragic results. the sand will go right to the bottom of the tank. will get no oxegen and you will have problems.with sand you need to put live rock on the bottom of the tank on the glass, pouring sand around the rocks preventing packing. if you place rock on the sand it will pack,

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

I have no experience with sand but good info .....never heard the term pack? meaning clump up?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

yes . i did not read your post right. the way you are talking about is substrate suspension, they did this in the late 80s and 90s. anthony calfo has written alot on this topic.substrate on the bottom of the tank is more benifical,more stable.

Im SO sick of this

14 posts • Page 2 of 2