new occupant ?

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

new occupant ?

by Snowboss4492

ok i have a pretty well established 20 gallon long

specs: 700 gph sump, nano korila powerhead
40 lbs arag live sandbed
approx 25 lbs live rock

inhabitants: 2 small true percula clowns {one about 1 1/2 inches, the other about 1 inch}
1 large anemone hernit crab {little smaller than a tennis ball}
misc algae hermits {1/2 inch each}

the water movement is mild to a lot - - - -it's not tornadic in there but it's not calm either

I am looking for something to add but can't really decide, i've looked into an anemone but the crab would destroy it, slower "perching fish like gobies would be targets as well for him
I looked at a snow flake eel, but worry about the crab harrassing him as well

now before everyone says to kill the crab or get rid of it, thats not an option right now, he's been with us since the begining and we like his personality

i looked at a small coral beauty and i think it would be ok for 6-10 months in there............... i will be starting up a larger tank in the next 3-6 months so he could move up when that happens

any ideas????

thanks in advance
Snowboss

kei9th

by kei9th

i did not like the coral beauty he hid all the time and i only saw him when it was time to feed. i took him back to the fish store. i am a big fan of puffers, they are kinda like underwater dogs. i have a spiny puffer he is funny to look at and dopey. you might like one. mine is very docile, no problems with other fish or inverts

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

can they handle a reasonable amount of current? - - i do like puffs but thought he would get beat up in the water current

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

wait, a puffer will eat the crabs right?

that would be bad, lol

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Big boss,

Puffers wouldn't be suitable for a 20G. Most the time you'd see him sitting on the bottom and staring. In very rare cases they are very predatory, unfortunately I had one couple of years ago. He eat my 2 clowns in the matter of minutes. there was nothing I could do. I tried to capture him , but it was too late.
But my first porcuppine was an "angel" in my 60G. I had him for 4 years when he died.
Anyways, why don't you just wait til the bigger tank you unpatience SOB? It's all about love my friend:-)
IMO if you'd introduce a dwarf angel such as the coral beauty, I think your clowns wouldn't be too happy. If you have those clowns in there for 5-6 month they're probly became very territorial by now.
When you set up your new system it'll be much easier. Lots of territorial issues will be solved.
Relax and rethink before you add a new fish in there. Love you man.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

What about something simple like a blenny. a little bi color blenny. purple and yellow adds a ton of color.....and they will hide in your rocks. But like dh said......your clowns will probably torment the hell out of anything in the tank thats new. Mine do.....they have eaten four different kinds of damsels. yellow, black, black and white stripes, and blue. What the crap! Id just wait a little while longer. Get some Nas snails......they are fun as shit to watch, specially when you feed your tank.......they emerge out of the sand like its the thriller music video.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok wait...... so theres crabs out there that mess with EELS??? ok i thoght i had heard it all until now....

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

MR. Headers my old friend...........you always have a way of putting things into perspective...............yes i am an impatient SOB, lol and as always i am thankful for the honesty..................i will be waiting for the bigger tank because when i really think about it, my tank is pretty cool right now with the 2 clowns and sabastian ..............thanks bud, hows that baby? drivin yet?????

Blue, if my crab can get ahold of it, he will eat it, lol, and yeah a 6 inch snowflake would be no match for him, he'd kill it and then eat on it for 3-4 days and probably molt 6 times in a row, lol

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

holy shit...... make sure i consult you guys before i buy anything so what fish i buy doesnt have to revolve around what inverts i have.. haha that lil peppermint shrimp isnt goign to take out any fish now is he?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

boss thats something you can get , a cleaner shrimp, peperment,or a fire shrimp..its cool watching shrimp ride the fish..lol as long as your tennis ball sized crab dont eat em....

blue shrimp wont kill a fish..i dont think..lol

new occupant ?

16 posts • Page 1 of 2