rock salt

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kei9th

rock salt

by kei9th

what is the deal with the last two posts and using rock salt. if your going to be cheap on important things i dont think saltwater tanks are your best bet. its really not that expensive to buy sea salt and mix it yourself. i think that its just lazyness to use rock salt. why would you think rock salt would work? not only is it dirty its not for saltwater tanks. its used to melt ice. its not even safe for human consumption, so why would anyone think it would be okay for an aquarium? we go out of our way to make sure everything put in
our tanks are perfect for the environment. why would you think to skimp on something like rock salt. sorry to offend anyone but i really enjoy the hassle of my aquarium and i only go cheap where it wont hurt. and even then its not really cheaping out. its hard enough to keep my tank healthy doing things properly why kill fish for plain lasy?

kei9th

fihsboy

by fihsboy

well...you never know until you try. Thats like some people were like WTF when I went protein skimmerless. Why the hell would you do that. I just did it to see if it would work. and it worked great. Mind you I had to do more water changes....but it worked. With a better algae scrubber and a good mangrove fuge......I think it would be flawless. Most people dont realize that when you protien skim....most of the stuff you pull out is beneficial.....such as algae spores, organics that arent disolved and lots of trace elements. Now without experimentation.....you would never know. I know rock salt is bad shit....but it (like our salt for aquariums) also contains most of the trace elements needed for fish to survive. The problem comes from it beeing swept on the floor and exposed to harsh chemicals and other metals. By the way........im giving the skimmerless aquarium another shot here in a few months.....when I get my new stand up and some good lights on my mangrove shoots.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

hey nitro methane burns at a higher tempurature and cleaner than gasolene.............that doesn't mean i'm gonna put it in my lawn mower {although now that i think about it....WOW what a ride eh? .lol}- - -certain things are designed to run with certian chemicals and or fuels, theres a reason that rock salt is a controlled substance by the health department and the EPA - - - as a snow plow contractor i can't just fill my barn up with salt. i have to have an approaved floor with concrete abutment walls and a colection drain system at the doors so any salt that mixes with water from rain, snow etc is caught and has to be disposed of correctly...............rock salt is a caustic substance .....not meant to be used for aquariums..............

Boss

vicky88_nofear

by vicky88_nofear

dude. it was just an experiment in my nano tank, i already own a 56g reef tank !!

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Well experiment failed lesson learned live and move on good luck with the nano tank. Go buy some Instant Ocean it's like 20 bucks for a bag that will do 50 gallons.

vicky88_nofear

by vicky88_nofear

yup .... i hav already done it ! thanks anywayz

rock salt

6 posts