problem with my 62 gallons tank

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

nofearvinu

by nofearvinu

hi im vinodh...i have 62 gallons tank...i have kept marine in it,i didnt use marine salts nor sea water, i used rock salt to make salt water...i know its not safe to do but wanna try now i find some small problems...tis was my set up

1)i added rock salt and made a salt water.i took all the impurities from it and then i added live rocks ie uncured one...i kept it directly into the tank after cleaning them,so tat it will be cured.Since i heard ppl saying tat while setting a new tank keeping uncured live rocks with unsettled water and making to settle will be perfect method.I had motors operating for 24hours ie weipro protien skimmer 2011, hang on the back filter, power head....

2)i left water to skim,live rocks to b cured and then i added some solutions ie benny bacter solution so it will make the bacteria to grow and i left water to skim...

3)i added nitro nil ie deammonifiers and denitrifiers...

4)the above steps went for a month and after tis i added a blue damsel,it died since it was weak wen buying...and then i added to lunar wrasse,its perfect til now

but the real problem s, two weeks before i added carrot anemone which died since my wrasse bit it,i removed it before it would spoil the tank,now few days back i added green carpet anemone and a doctor wrasse which again died,tis time my lunar wrasse didint do anything,anemone n doctor died by itself...

now i just wanna is my entire set up was wrong or te compounds present in water lacking????

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i have to say this is the most unconventional process i've ever heard ........ 1st off, depending on what kind of rock salt you bought, there can be chemicals in there to aid melting for ice, if nnothing else it's made in huge pants and moved around with machines on the ground................all around bad idea

but anyway, test evrything you can and post your results and then people can give you educated information

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Here is what I would do......I would drain all the water out of the tank. I would clean all the equipment out with vinegar and the tank out with fresh water and vinegar. Your sand....I would put in a couple of buckets and just wash it out straight with water. I wouldnt worry about washing it out with saltwater.....Its going to kill the bacteria...but it doesnt really matter. In essence your are starting over here. You have to.......due to the rock salt having so many impurities. You could just try to start again without cleaning your sand and aquarium........but then you risk starting off on the wrong foot......which will just lead to dissapointment in the long run.

nofearvinu

by nofearvinu

okay il do tat...thanks for te replies...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Wow dude....thats it. Most people are like OMG THATS SOO MUCH!!!! haha, impressive. yeah man so pretty much if you want to cycle your tank.........I would just throw a nice piece of live rock in your tank. That will start it better than anything else in the world. Eventually you will want to throw some dead shrimp or something but live rock would be a great start.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i comend you on your willingness to learn......... a lot of people join.............ask a question.............and when they don't get the answer they want they leave and we never hear what the outcome was......please kep us posted as we all learn from everyone elses process..................welcome to the hobby and to the site

Boss

6 posts