pictures

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

newfishman07

pictures

by newfishman07

can someone give me some tips on how to take a good pic of my tank

javahava82

Re: pictures

by javahava82

i've found it helps to take a picture of the tank at night, with the tank lights on. turn off the room lights and don't use flash. hope that helps - once you're done, also remember to resize the photo so it fits our guidelines for uploading (less than 150kb). thanks!

newfishman07

by newfishman07

ok thanks...ummmm this may sound like a dumb question but how do i re-size the pic i have taken several pics and would love to post them but i dont know how to resize the pics....

javahava82

by javahava82

there are a number of free online services that help you resize photos:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... e+pictures

this tutorial might also help:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/digita ... cesize.htm

underoath87

by underoath87

OK, so they are all right on the tips they gave. Take your picture at night, turn off all lights nearby except tanks lights.

Now what I do is I keep my flash ON, but I cover it almost all the way so only a little light excapes. I just use my case. I have a button the focuses much better than normally, I always turn that on. The thing with having no flash on is that the pictures will come out blurry of moving objects such as fish. So keep the flash ON but cover it up. The flash increases your shutter speed.

Daro31303

by Daro31303

Photographing your fish so that they look natural means duplicating the normal aquariuim lighting only at a much higher level. That means we are used to seeing our fish lit mainly from the top. As photogrpahy is my other lifelong hobby I have developed a few tricks. I have a remote flash triggered by a slave behind a white piece of paper to diffuse the light above the tank. A slave is an inexpensive electric eye that triggers one flash when it sees the light from another. Also be sure to cover the flash on the camera so that the light is reflected up, and not into the aquarium with a small piece of cardbaord. Otherwise you will get the reflection of the flash in the glass.

This way the light above the tank will be significantly brighter and even the room light will not register. You have to experimient a bit with the exposure but is not that the beauty of digital cameras. I also tend to wait while my fish come to a usual spot they like and prefocus on that spot, waiting for thefish to enter the scene. Chasing fish around is a futile endeavour. Plus your movment will just spook them.

I also do my photos the day after a water change, the fish are ussually a t their best and the water and glass it's clearest.

blubunny2005

by blubunny2005

When I update my tanks look with a background, more plants, and some driftwood pieces.. is there a way to update the original my tank picture or do you have to delete it to re-add a new pic? Or, do I possibly have to delete all of my pics to get the new my tank pic in the my tank spot? Thanks!

cyndrine

by cyndrine

never thought of covering/ redirecting my flash. THANKS!!

pictures

8 posts