cool reef cleaner package

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

arthur

by arthur

i would like a cool reef cleaner package not your run of the mill turbo snail the package does not have to a ready package i am open with to obtaining the cleaners individually looking for algae eaters and detritus eaters

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i realy dont like snails in a reef, the only cool thing about turbos is they have alot of shell. you could glue some star polops to them . cucumbers work hard , bumble bees,i forgot the name of the snail but they slide in and out of the sand in constant search for food, orange/blue star fish , sand sifting stars, shrimp also are scavengers, but will probably pluck your snails off one by one. some one else here may have better ideas then me , i was the cleaning crew in my tank, other then a few snails,2 cucumbers,and a bunch of starfish that just grew in my tank.blue leged hermits i have tried but did not like because they climbed allover my corals. hope this helps

singapore

by singapore

i personally think serpent starts are good cleaners. they may not look as appealing as some other stars, but they are definately interesting, active, and efficient. if you have some experience with saltwater, you can try keeping sea slugs. lettuce nudibranchs are quite easy to keep and clean fairly well. some of the others are good cleaners too, and are very colorful, but difficult to keep for an extended period of time. I know ur basic yellow tang is good for ridding the tank of algae too. as are lawnmower blennies. hope this helps

arthur

by arthur

thanks for all the replies i will try the lettuce slug and serpent star

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

also try a sand sifting goby, i just put one in my reef to keep the sand clean and thats exactly what he did now its pure white and the tank looks even brighter, and theyre peacful

angus4481

by angus4481

if you can, find a sea hare. they are the biggest scavenger avalible. depending on tank size, if you get one sea hare and bout 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 peppermint shrimp, you should be good. if you have corals you should rethink the sea hare, they make a toxin that kills corals off slowly. if you have corals, get nudibranches, they creat the toxins, but less of them. if you trust snails. you should go with the samallest ones, they look for food faster, they are the hungriest. scavengers are the best clean-up crew, plus, they are cheaper! hope i helped

6 posts