Emergency!

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spraky1413

Emergency!

by spraky1413

Landlords decided no pets now means my little wet friends too and they have to be gone by friday. So my freshly cycled/stocked tank has to be moved. Is there a way to speed-cycle a tank to minimize losses? I can transport some of the existing water, but only a fraction (abt 10gal) since there's no way in hell i can move 50 gal.

HELP!

bacrosslin

by bacrosslin

Wow man that is a bummer.
Is that something that was written into your lease upon moving? If not than legally your landlords could not enforce that implication untill your lease was re-newed.
If you have no choice what so ever than that is a little extreme on your landlords part.
Are you moving your fish to a new and un-cycled tank?
If i were you (personally), I would use some clean and sterilized jugs to move the water, it is easy to siphon out of the tank, just use gravity to help. I am sure you know to ALWAYS treat fresh tap water. and I would take your Bio filter that has cycled and keep it in the tank water you have now, DO NOT let it dry out. Try to get as close to 50% of the new tanks water from your old aquarium and keep the old bio filter wet and you should avoid a crash.
For the fish.....definatly transfor them in something safe. If you are traveling far like over 2 hours get a aitstone to put in with them it will help.
You CAN also use old purified water jugs but it wpuld take a few of them......some local grocery stores sell them for around one dollar ea.

What kind of fish are you moving?
How long is the Drive?
What size it the new tank?
I hope some of this helps.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah the lease would have to be renewed in order for them to say that you could not have pets. they can not change the terms of the lease in the middle of the lease unless you resign a new lease and they can not make you do that until your old one is up.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Dude that blows. Are you in a complex or something like a duplex/townhome? Like the others say its his/her right to say those things if its put down on paper. I'd be pissed as hell if I'd shown a good long time of responsibility in caring for my pets and suddenly the landlord decided to be an asshole..

Just to add to bacrosslin..how many fish will you be moving?

Another place where bacteria lives is in the substrate and on surfaces of decor/plants/etc...you could put all your substrate in a 5gal bucket with some tank water and if there's room put all your decor and plants in there as well.

Whatever smaller container you decide to move the fish in, start that running on the filter (with the media you put in tank water) as soon as you reach your destination while you setup your 50gal again (I'm assuming thats the idea)...or even more crazy if you have an inverter (DC-AC) in your vehicle you could power the filter while your'e on the go.

spraky1413

by spraky1413

the drive isnt long at at, 10 min max. i have a med. pleco, some kind of catfish, gourami,leaf fish, x2 bichirs (small) and 5 tetras. I live in a house and my landlords suck. im sure they would find some way to make it look like no pets in the contract.

oh well.

anyways i can move about 10 gallons of the old water. what about if i just set the water level at the tank about 20 gal for now and add more fresh water gradually (5 gal every other day)

RogerFederer

by RogerFederer

bummer about your landlords. id be very upset.

if the drive is only 10 mins i would definitly suggest moving more than 10 gallons, spread out over a few trips.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah buy some of that chepo water from walmart..... the .50 a gallon stuff syphon the tank water into the gallon jugs and go from there

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

Wow not very nice on the landlords part. Too bad you can pay some extra $ incase of damage due to the tank....I know some store do have empty gallon jugs perhaps use those for the move. I like the idea of lowering the water and do gradual. best of luck to you and the fishes. Are you moving with the fish or no?

spraky1413

by spraky1413

ok, so i moved the tank, its filled to about 20gal. i still had some old gravel from my previous tank the fish were living in before the move to the big one, so i put some of that in. I also have the filter for the smaller one going in the big tank. water params are ok so far.

RogerFederer

by RogerFederer

awesome! hope all goes well!

Emergency!

10 posts