new filter pics ..............take 2

26 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I have the surface skimmer screwed down to the lowest setting that gives me a good two inches from the water surface to the rim of the tank. You don't want you're water level too high. It's better to run the water level a little lower to allow the gases escaping from you tanks some room to disipate

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Hey Boss since the skimmer works on the PS4 I threw my seaclone 100 protein skimmer back in the tank and their both cleaning crap out it's pretty kewl. Bye the way change the nozzle on you return pipe and point it toward the surface.

snowboss

by snowboss

yeah i moved it up a little and it seems to be helping.............my problem is the tank is only 12 inches across front to back and with 700 GPH pointed at it it really makes some waves on the oposite wall.......... i think i will drop the water level a little and point the return towards the top a little more

I guess i could put my redsea Prizm HOB skimmer back in there.......but that kinda defeats the purpose of an all in one filter

Boss

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Yeah I just got a great modification Idea for mine. I'm going to scrap the filtering trays all together, and add a 6-8 inch devider plate. Going to scrap the drip shoot on the top of the media trays, and make an aquaduct to the back with a pipe running down. That chamber when it's done will be a mangrove refugium with some fine sand substrate, and spagetti algae. Then I can aquaculture live copepods in the fuge to feed the fish natural foods. That will solve my nitrate problems with about 25 red mangroves, and the spagetti algea should help too.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

The plate will allow enough water to collect for the plants, and it will overflow into the return/skimmer chamber in the front. I might even create some mounting brackets on the sides to place a good set of lights for the fuge. Wet/Dry filters are not really for reef tanks, but I planned on modifying the PS4 into a refugium anyway. I'll send some pics with the step-by-step prodjects when I get started if you're interested.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sweet idea ...........good luck

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I got kind of a crappy paintshop look at the modification idea

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

looks pretty sound to me................couple questions.

1. will the water be moving through the filter to fast to do any good?
2. will the water moving so fat cause a sand storm right into the pump area and right back into the tank??

LMAO - - -i especially like the skimate going up the skimmer tube, nice touch, lol

my skimmer is starting to make a little skimate tonight.....sweet !!!

Boss

wait - -i guess you could put 2 90's on the bottom of the pipe feding the mangrove section {so it would be pointing up} and let the water "umbrella" into that area..........no???

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

boss you could build a small pvc manifold around the top of the tank with shut offs you could distribute the water where you need it and nothing will be in your tank..

nicholas542

by nicholas542

the down pipe isn't going to be that deep it's going to kind of splash down into the fuge about two inches above the water. The return pump shoudn't get any sand in it because of the barrier being a couple inches taller than the sandbed. And there isn't going to be any filter just a above fuge aquaduct feeding water to the downpipe.

new filter pics ..............take 2

26 posts • Page 2 of 3