new filter pics ..............take 2

26 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

snowboss

by snowboss

lets see if these pics post - -

used PS3 rapids pro filter off ebay

i had to replace the drain line from the overflow to the sump {white tube} . . . . found it at Home Depot, washing machine drain line 1 1/8th ID

the filter runs about 700 GPH, has an aqualifter set up on the over flow that auto starts and stops the overflow in the event of a power outage { NO FLOODS, WOOHOO}

in the filter there are 3 trays/baskets - - - first one is a floss tray, second basket has 2 carbon bags and a phosban bag in it, the third {bottom basket has 2 bags with ceramic media in them and a few bio balls right now............i plan on putting some live rock rubble in there and dumping the bio balls eventually for a modified fuge type thing

the sump has a built in protien skimmer that is not hooked up right now because i need to replace the air stone on it for smaller "mist" type bubbles

all in all i love the filter, it's a little noiseier than the HOB filter and HOB skimmer i had but not bad

i have to do daily top offs rather than waiting a few days which in reality is healthier for the tank any way ...so thats no biggy either

great filter for the money............not a lot of room for modification, so if you want a workhorse right out of the box and don't want to "Mod" it all up i definatley recomend the Rapids Pro from tom aquatics

The Snowboss
dde8c-100_1855.jpg
83348-100_1861.jpg
c3589-100_1862.jpg
f253d-100_1868.jpg

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Nice that thing looks pretty sweet, now I really can't wait to get it. It should arrive via UPS the 27th this sucks i want it now. Thanks for the pics.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol np - - - we had a power outage last night and my wife and i weren't home so when i came back i thought the filter ran low and lost prime or something and started adding water - - - - --a bad idea...........lol ...............had a mini flood

found the tubeing from the return line was sucking a little air and it didn't auto start for me...................oooooppppssss

moral of the story.................make sure everything is tight and let the filter do what it's designed to do

good luck your gonna love this set up

Boss

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Should be here anytime now just waiting for the big brown truck to show up. Is you tank an all-glass cuz it looks just like the one I have. Even you're stand looks the same as mine.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Yeah this thing rocks had to do a little tweaking to the aqua lifter, but other than that I put it together added water and it did it's thing. This is the nicest filter setup I've ever had. The auto-topoff work really well too. I adjusted the screws on the surface skimmer when my tank was a little low, and the auto-topoff raised it right to the level I want it at. I am extremely impressed so far, will be a 5 Star purchase one I see the skimmer pulling out some crap. I'm going to leave off my Seaclone 150 skimmer for a while to break in the new skimmer on the unit.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sounds like a plan - - - - i guess common sense would dictate that since the auto top off system hooks to the filter that it is ok for me to top off in the filter and not in the tank itself correct???? - - i have just been adding water daily to the "max" line on the filter ................my next question not ever having a sump before is water changes...................

can i just shut the filter off do a regular water change and then restart the filter? as usual?

glad to here you like the set up, i had been looking at them for almost a year and finally said screw it and bought one

keep the tweeks and ideas comming man, we'll get these things running like fine tuned machines soon enough

Boss

nicholas542

by nicholas542

We'll for topping off you're thank adding water to the filter should be fine. You probably want to keep the water level at the top black notch anyway. I haven't done a water change yet, but shutting down the filter shouldn't be a problem. When I hooked mine up at 2:00 A.M. lastnight after work I turned the pump off and on a couple time too see if the autostart really worked. A couple times I have to pour water into the front chamber of the skimmer box to give it a little boost. Other than that the filter seems to be doing exactly what is claimed. I just started to get some foam in the skimmer collection cup this morning, so the skimmer works. I got rid of the valve in the air line, and the hooked the air pump up direct.

snowboss

by snowboss

I need to get an air stone for my skimmer - - - i'm hopeing that fixes the surface problem im having.............this morning the crap on the surface of the water was so thick and nasty............how far into the water does your over flow go?

if you look at the first pic i posted you can even see some of the crap starting there..........what do you think? i have a Koriala 1 running and the return from the filter ....which should be crazy plenty for a 20 gallon tank ......but the surface is nasty

thoughts???????

Boss

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

hmmm i know that they make a surface skimmer attachment for HOB filters i dont know if you would want to hook back up your HOB and get one of thoes,
What causes all the crud at the top

nicholas542

by nicholas542

On the surface skimmer on my PS4 I have the return nozzle pointed upward for surface circulation. That will help in gas exchange, and surface aggitation helps to buffer PH. That's why the crap is forming on the surface theres water movement bellow the surface but not on top. I have a Zoodmeds wavemaker that puts out 190 GPH, and a Aquaclear powerhead pointed downward toward the sandbed that put's out 174 GPH, and the water circulation is fine. But my tanks is a 40 gallon. The pump in my filter is a 1000 GPH all together I have about 1400 GPH of water circulation.

26 posts • Page 1 of 3