Two pumps to one line?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

Two pumps to one line?

by fihsboy

Due to costs.....I was wondering if it would be okay to run two pumps on one line. I have a rio 1700 and it runs great........but if im going to be getting rid of my koralia.......i need to get more turn over from my pump. I could A) get another pump and T them off to one line OR B) buy a bigger pump. Heres the catch....if its possible to fuse them to one line........I could keep one on a battery back up like I have now...that would keep the water flowing no matter what for a few days. I would have to install a check valve before they T off together so in the event of a power outtage they wont be pushing the water right back where it started from. OR I could even say screw the SCWD.......and just run two 1700's straight to the tank. cross there paths......and call it a day. Ideas? Im pretty open and im still in the planning stage. All i really know for sure........is I need a bigger pump. I would like a turn over rate of about 15-20 times an hour. so 600gph with the 5 foot head...I dont want to spend a fortune either..

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

the theory is ok - - - but the design is a little confusing

1. if you are pumping 100 gph with one pump and put and pump "inline" [the same pump] you are still only moving 100gph

2. if you pull from two seperate places with each pump you are moving 100gph per pump....giving you 200 gph

3. so if you want to do away with the SCWD and pump on two return lines they have to be two differant pick ups ..................see what i'm saying?

so you would in fact be creating an SCWD other than the alternateing current - - -i guess that would be a CWD then eh ??? lol

but yes it will work..................just don't put the pumps "inline " {in one pump out to the next then out the line}

Boss

doenuttz

by doenuttz

I think you should leave your set up. On my 150 , I have reeflo dart that pumps 3600gph. I tried to use the full potential of this pump. Well , my overflow couldn't handle the water going in the main. Water was spilling out of the main tank. Unless, You have an overflow that can handle the amount being pump in the main. I wouldn't do it.
Here's a thought
rio1700 = 33 watts of power.
Koralia # 4 = 8.5 watts of power ( I couldn't tell which you have)

I say thats GREAT power consumption for waterflow.
If you still want increase your flow via sump pump, I purchased a quiet one 4000 pump @ petsolution http://www.petsolutions.com/Quiet-One-P ... 1+C49.aspx for 70 bucks and it pumps 1017 gph and uses 50 watts of power..

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

very good points ...........power consumption is getting to be a big factor..........it doesn't sound like much when you look at 50 watts here, 20 watts there .......but when i run the math out it costs me about 400 bucks a year to run my 20 gallon tank in its present configuration ................hhhhmmmmmm how much rock is that how many fish, nems, corals etc etc is that if i cut my consumption back

lol some of these guys and gals are spending 200-300 bucks a year just running a lightbulb ..............so becareful out there

Boss

nicholas542

by nicholas542

That was one factor that I looked into before I bought any of my equipment was how much power it was going to use. I got to pay the power bill so 200-300 dollars a year is alot of cases of beer, and alot of food.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah true. Well I was thinking about running two koralia nanos......that would give me about 500 gph with cross current for not too much money. or get two koralia 1's giving me about 800 gph....that would be a nice turnover rate in my tank. 26 times an hour and if you figure in the sump pump its about 36 times an hour. My thing is space.....Its very limited in a 29 gallon tank, which was the reason for my sump originally. I am looking for the smallest amount of room that the (crap) equipment will take up. I dont really want to put a coral next to a power head like that.....thats why i was leaning toward the big pump in the sump. I agree though.......big pump means big overflow......aka defeats the purpose. I just want to get the equipment out or keep it to a minimum. So i guess im thinking two koralia nanos......with the sump pump that would give me about 700 gph in a 29 gallon. Or a turn over rate of about 25 times an hour. Is that enough? right now its 900 but with one koralia 2 and my sump pump. so there are dead spots.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I figured it out! closed loop with a cheaper pump like quiet one... make two over the back strainers...it wont look bad....buy the scwd...make two overflows in the closed loop....hardlined. to one input into the pump......that way it doesnt suck up the corals or fish or shrimp. put a strainer on the two overflows....then make the output on the pump go the scwd and make two outputs.....it allows plenty of flow......gives about a 2 foot head....max.....and allows for plenty of flow......cheaply........and efficiently.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

you could also run a larger single pump and build a submerged spray bar on the return - - -put it in the tank..........decide where you want flow, pull it out and drill a hole there ...............repeat until you have the flow and directions you want - - -it would be a modified SCWD

Boss

Two pumps to one line?

8 posts