Best way to clean plastic container

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

What is the best way to clean a plastic container that will be used to store saltwater? Should I use clorox & water or just soap and water or just water. This is a new Rubbermaid container from the store.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

bleach and water would work great do not yous soap it contans antibacterea and if it gits into the tank water it will destroy everything. that is y you dont yous spunges in the fish tank. olny yous bleach.

kei9th

by kei9th

i use table salt and a clean wash rag and scrub then rinse that is the only thing i use for cleaning when it comes to my tank

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I found this on another web site. It seems a bit excessive but it's what I am going to do. I purchased a reverse osmosis filter about 2 months ago and have been storing my water in new 44 gal plastic trash cans. But recently I have noticed an odor coming from my stored water and my main tank has a bad case of Cyno. bacteria and I have done everything I can think of to rid this problem to no avail.

Curing all new Rubbermaid and plastic buckets.

When buckets are made they are put one inside the other. This is called nesting. When newly fabricated buckets are made and they are nested, there is no way any air can circulate. Thus any toxins from newly formed synthetic materials cannot escape.

To cure: Fill the container with water. Add one cup of Clorox (bleach) and 10 pounds of common salt (rock salt will do), to each 25 gallon size container.

Allow to sit for 4-5 days.

Dump out, not on your lawn! Wash with clean fresh water.

Fill with clean fresh water. Add de-chlorinator. Allow to sit for 4-5 days.

Discard this water. Allow to open air cure (leave in your back yard) for 4-5 days.

At the end of this process, smell inside the container. If there is ANY odor of plastic, resins, etc. Cure again.

Once there is NO odor of any type, you can safely use this container to mix and store salt water.

This is why we DO NOT use or recommend selling marine salts in new plastic 5 gallon buckets. -- E.g. Get a bucket of salts... it has an odor of resin, plastic, etc. This bucket MUST be cured prior to mixing or storing salt water.

4 posts