Leveling the tank...

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

fihsboy

Leveling the tank...

by fihsboy

So i have just about finished building my tank and I was wondering how I should level it. We have hard wood floors so it shouldnt be too hard..........I just dont want to hurt the floors. (my mom would kill me when I move out after college) Tank is all wood but I dont want to sand...Would shims be the best?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

your building a plywood tank? or a stand to hold a tank?

the problem with leveling things like a tank is that if you only use the corners as "lift" points you will in essence be suspending the tank by the corners..........if you can figure the amount of "slope" and direction you can build it into the tank between the stand and the tank with strips of some sort

another option is to build the top of the stand and trim it out with about 1/2 of the trim raised above the top - - - basically a tray for the tank to sit in, now set the stand exactly where you want it to be and go to home depot and get a container of floor leveler - - - -it should be in the flooring area and is used to level like bathroom floors for tileing..............you mix it up with water, it's really just super thin concreat, pour it into the "tray" about 1/4 to 3/8 deep and it will spead out level in the tray, when it dries set the tank on it {the trim will cover the whole process up...............now your problem will be that you can't move the tank without removeing the tank breking out the leveling stuff and repouring it for the new location

BUT........this will give you a perfectly level place to set the tank and you will have compleat support everywhere under it

thats my 2 cents...............lol good luck

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

fihs yorue livin at home?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah im 19 so im still at home. I am just moving my 29 to a new stand. I built it out of 2x4's and 3/4ths inch plywood. Im sanding it/drilling it now. I am putting a hole in the back just for the overflow and one for the return line. Everything is going to be VERY organized and fool proof. I am going to run a 1 1/2 inch pipe for the return from my overflow and split it in my sump. One pipe will go to my filter sock and the other line is going to go to an algae scrubber. My return is going to have to handle about 600 gph so I have to split it up so my refuge doesnt become a shoreline. This is what I have planned.....I want to use an algae scrubber and a filter sock with the refuge for all my filtering needs. Everything is pretty much like that now.......except the algae screen (scruber) Its all going to be secured in the stand. I made it big enough to fit a a nice size sump and all my equipment. I was wondering how to get the whole stand leveled.
713e8-back of aquarium.jpg

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

if your leveling the stand . . . . . put some 4X4 on a 45degree angle in each corner at the bottom of the stand right on the floor and get some leveling legs from a hardware store - - - -look under a washing machine or refridgerator and you'll see what i'm talking about - - - from there it's just a matter of turning the legs up or down on each corner to level the entire cabinet................get a carpet sample or a heavy rubber door mat and cut some squares for the legs to sit on {mom won't get mad because you scuffed up her floor, lol}

hint: put about 1 inch of water in the tank and turn the legs until the water is level in the tank.............then you don't have to keep moving a level all over the place

good looking design you have the BTW - - -can't wait to see some pics when she's up and runnin

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Boss your genius Im going to HD right now to pick up some trim/paint/hinges so I can finish her up. Then ill get some levelers like you said. Its going to be a major task changing stands. This stand is going the same place as the existing. It will probably be another two weeks at least due to lack of money. It costs some major cash to move/build another stand. I would put 50 bucks down to say the new stand weighs in at no less than 100lbs. I over built the hell out of it, but its nice and sturdy. :) (btw....its not level because i used a jigsaw to cut every piece of lumber)

Leveling the tank...

6 posts