Just started my temp. Mangrove setup

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Currently i'm using my marineland penguin 200 powerfilter to house the 7 red mangroves I got today. Kind of in the dark on how to set up and efficient mangrove refugium. I read online that for 40+ gallon tanks you need about 2 mangroves per gallon of water in the display. Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

singapore

by singapore

im not exactly sure how many mangroves per gallon, but i know they are insane nitrate exporters. my lfs has a small setup on the counter and a sump behind the desk that has mangroves. they use mineral mud...not sure of the brand...as the substrate for them. if you successfully set this up, tell me wht you did

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Yeah I can get the mud through numberous websites, infact my LFS has mineral mud. I was going to use a layer of mud about an inch thick. Then put live sand ontop, and then put a layer of crushed florida coral on that. I wanted atleast a three in substrate bed, and some live fiji rock.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

mangroves will grow in any substrate. I have them in my refuge and they are growing great. I have about 25 in there on my 29 gallon tank. Its plenty. Like singapore said.....they pull out crazy nitrates. I ran nothing but mangroves for two months. No filters and no protein skimmer. It actually ran better with just the mangroves now that I think about it. You can use mud.......but a seasoned refuge will be the same thing as mud.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I need to get more mangrove starts from what I've read I need about 20-25 total to be effective. Here pretty soon i'm going to order a CPR Aquatics HOB refugium. I think i'll put some live sand in their without the mud, like 3 inches deep. Then get more mangrove starts, copepods, and Spagetti algae for the fuge.

5 posts