moving a tank

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a1k8t31524

moving a tank

by a1k8t31524

so what would be the best way to go about moving a tank with the lowest amount of stress, for my fish.
and the less loss of my bio-filter

tsegura

by tsegura

I had to move my tank about a year ago,what i did was set up a smaller tank and filled it with water from my larger tank and ran it for 2 weeks, i slowly transfered the fish untill all were in smaller tank, after i moved my big tank i set it up as a new tank and ran it for a few weeks before tranfering the fish back.

a1k8t31524

Re: moving a tank

by a1k8t31524

well my tank according to all the charts and reading i have done is "overstocked" but all my my tests tell me that it is fine....so moving all my fish into a smaller, and movable tank would make it extreamly overstocked so therefore would it be best to do two smaller tanks and keeping my fish in the smaller tanks for two weeks i think would cause a long extended period of "stress" so would it be better to put them in the smaller tanks or tank just for the move, its not a long move by anymeans just across town

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i moved my 125 gal, and my 55 gal, and my 20 gal, about a year ago, what i had done before the move was procure several large clean fifty five gal drums for the water from my tanks and put the fish from each tank into individual bags and then placed them into coolers, and then returned the water from each tank to its respective place and got the temp to where it needed to be and floated my fish for 15 minutes and put them back in the tanks, i used a heavy dose of stress coat and stresszyme in the tanks to minimize last trauma from the move i did lose a few fish but nothing like i would have if i had chosen any other route! there are O2 tabs that you can buy to drop into the bags with the fish, this will keep the oxygen levels high enough for the fish to last the move as well as the time it takes for you to setup your tank. the trip from one place to the next was over an hour and the fish made it just fine, the majority of the lost that i had was in the 55gal with my community fish, and they were as follows, my angels, only one survived out of three, and my sharks, i lost two rose bar sharks, and two rainbows, out of all the fish that i had the loss was less than 5 percent, my cichlids made it just fine!!!! if you don't have the ability to do this then i would talk to you're local petstore, if there is a family owned/operated shop in your town you may want to see if they have boarding tank that you can bring your fish to while you cycle your tank in the new location. most can accommodate for a small boarding fee.

hope this helps
Brandon

Leanderlion882570

by Leanderlion882570

You really shouldnt worry to much about it. If you are taking a quick move across town then the barrels that you put your tanks water in just place the fish in the buck with the water. This way it will cause less stress since there still in a Significant amount of water, and its there water. Then when you get there pump the water back into the tank and slowly start putting the fish in the tank.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've moved tanks from one apt to another and what I do is remove the fish, put them in a bucket with something like a peice of wood from the aquarium to keep the water from sloshing too much, take out the heavyest rocks and wood, take out most of the water, and then carry it to your vehicle(if you are going that far)where I put it on cardboard. Never use a skateboard! Me and another strong guy carried my 60 gal with 5 inches gravel and some water down steps to my truck. Get it done in one go so you can get the fish back into an airated environment. I don't see why you would have to bring all the origonal water with you. Using the appropriate water conditioner for most of the volume should be fine. That's what I did, and I never had any deaths with my fish.

moving a tank

6 posts