Brown Algae

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

Brown Algae

by singapore

i started a 20g tank a few weeks ago and until recently, everything was going fine. Now there is a very unpleasant brown algae growing on my liverock, on my coral sand, and on my glass. my nitrate is almost zero, and my nitrite is zero. can anyone tell me how to get rid of it?

eazy4647

by eazy4647

hey i asked one of the guys da same thing. if its brown. then u can just take a brush and scrape it up and get it out wit one of ur nets. but if its colorful..like purple..or pinkish then dont mess wit it because das just the rocks gettin prettttty ;]. hope this helps.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i'm 8 weeks into a salt tank and the brown algae has been here for a good 3 weeks, i clean it daily with a tank magnet for the glass and blow off the substrate and rock with a turkey baster, tank looks like death for a couple hours and then the filters catch up.......start all over the nest day.....this is the last step in the nasties . .nice green algae will come next and then the purple stuff, i do a 20% water change every week and clean one filter every week then the other the next week . . . . your doing fine, just keep cleaning and stay patient

singapore

by singapore

thanks for the help.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I think you are about to finish the nitrogen cycle. Brown algaes will dissapear just as fast as they came. I know it's kinda' disgusting, but heads up it'll go away. Do a good 20 % water change when the cycle's done, and introduce a lawnmover blennie to your tank. They're love those disgusting brown algaes. Sometimes they clean a whole rock right front of your eyes...Pretty cool.

singapore

by singapore

oo alright thanks. well i have 4 fish in my 20 gal tank. an ocellaris clown, blue and yellow damsel, 3stripe damsel, and a domino damsel (all less thank 1.25 in). do u think i have enough room for another fish?

eazy4647

by eazy4647

nah buddy i dont think so. u kno u got 4 already in a 20g that might be pushing it. so just settle for those 4 and make sure they are compatible since u dont got much room for them to swim in so they wont try and make each other sushi.

Brown Algae

7 posts