Is this possible?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

Is this possible?

by fihsboy

I want to plumb two 15 gallon tanks together. I am going to drill both and put a hose between them, or pvc which ever will work better. Maybe flexible PVC. I am trying to build a sump that does all. I have a refuge with a filter sock and it will hold a protein skimmer as well. this 15 gallon tank will then be plumbed to another 15 gallon tank that has 10 gallons of fresh RO water for top off and 5 gallons for the return pump.....and ideas? Should I just stick with the 20 gallon sump I have now and make a top off unit seperate?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

fishboy, what are you trying to do ? i dont get it...

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

I get what your trying to do I guess. I think that if you just have a power head from the ro tank to the sump with some plastic tubing and have it connected to a float switch which would turn the pump on and fill the missing water. If this is what you wanted to do all you have to do is split the wire on the small pump cut the power wire which in most cases should be collered and connect the float switch wires to the ends of the cut wire, test, tape, and use. If this is what your looking to do will save you the hassle of drilling, finding a proper bulkhead and connecting the tanks together with out any leaks. Trust me the more simple it is to install and disasemble the better off you are if you want to change the size of your sump then you have to drill al over again. Sry about the length of the post

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well im not really sure. My problem is when I made my new stand I didnt think it through well enough. So im faced with a little bit of a dilema. The inside of my stand is 28 inches with the 2x4's. I am still building my stand, its going to be a beast. I want to build a controller into it along with the sump and other electrics. I have areas for everything so everythign is concelead properly and its structurally sound. I built it all so far for about 80 bucks. Back to the problem......my problem is my sump is 30inches long.........so when I swith my tank over.......my sump will no longer fit. I could A) build a new sump smaller than what I have now. B) Build a better sump completly custom. Or C) Cut the 2x4's by 2 inches on either side so I have room for my sump now. Just make it a little slot. The 2x4's arent load berring nor are they really necessary. They are there purely for more support. Cutting a notch isnt a big deal.....but I dont really want to do it if I dont have to. I built the stand big enough to hold a 60 gallon so I can have a copper tang. :) So I want to go with a 29 gallon sump. I was thinking if I hooked together two 15's I could make one 15 gallon sump a refuge.....And then plumb it to another 15, so the water lines are the same. And use that 15 to house the skimmer and the sump pump as well as the auto top off sensor. Heres a better picture. :)
f7c57-Whole set up.JPG

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Maybe this one will be more clear. :)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

wow, i undestand now..good job.i would take the refuge sock off, and just use one on both of the pipes near the return section...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I like your thinking. Less work for me and less money. I was thinking about maybe putting a spray bar across the back of the refuge......Letting the water go over the whole entire back of the refuge for even flow. Even Flow is a pretty good song too. :) Hey what size bulkheads would you go with for the overflow? I was thinking maybe the full 2 inch for the overflow. Or maybe just an inch and a half. I have never used them before......so its kinda new to me.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

idk what size the bulkhead is,the whole in my glass is 2 or more inches,and my bulhead takes 1 inch pvc and a 1 inch street elbow,hehe i guess its one inch.it works for me and dead quite. the spray bar idk..if you use one make sure it wont restrict flow if somthing gets traped in it you need a ball valve on the fuge side to restrict flow,you dont need a ton of current in there..

swp

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah man I agree with that completly. Right now my fuge is getting the full 300 gph my tank is getting from my sump pump. Its good with the chaeto but the pods dont like it too much. They dont get out of the rocks too much because they dont want to get swept away. Any pump recomendation thats fairly economical/quiet and could pump 750 gph at a 5 or 6 foot head?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i run a magdrive 950,ive had it for a few years, its a strong pump, but my next one will be a pump that can be plumbed out of the sump or one with a suctioncup base, i had to put a sponge under my pump to stop the vibrating, whitch is my fault cuz of the plumbing, its cocked ti the side a little bit...

Is this possible?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2