SIAMESE FIGHTER, GOLDFISH + TIGER BARB

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

thadru

by thadru

would like to add a tiger barb to my tank that currently has two goldfish and 1 male siamese fighter. Would this work?

Poetic_Irony2267

Re: SIAMESE FIGHTER, GOLDFISH + TIGER BARB

by Poetic_Irony2267

I would not advise adding a tiger barb to a tank that has a siamese fighting fish in it, the tiger barb will pick at the fins on your fighting fish and you wont like the end results. tiger barbs are not a seriously aggressive fish, however they are pickers, if your fish have long flowing fins, you will not want a tiger barb in there, it will pick the fins apart and could stress the tank out, increasing the amount of ammonia and possibly killing the fish that reside there.
Hope this helps.
Brandon

thadru

by thadru

thanks for the advice mann. I was actually reading elsewhere about the same thing. So what other fish do you think are 'compatible' with what i have?

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

I would look into something like White cloud tetras or other smaller type tetras, and maybe a few corydora cat fish, to use as bottom feeders, a loach would work perfect as well. or i would even bet money that any of the dwarf gourami breeds would add a bit of nice color to your tank with out creating havoc with the fish that you already have. any non aggressive community fish should be fine, i would tend to stay away from the larger tetra breeds as they can get aggressive in certain situations. and don't go too small with the tetras either as they tend to swim near the bottom where you may have cover and could accidentally get swallowed by your goldfish, goldfish don't intentionally eat other fish but they really are picky about where they are sucking up the gravel and spitting it out! LOL not the smartest of the fish breeds...

hope this helps
Brandon

thadru

by thadru

THank you. I had actually planned to go with Gouramis and/or Zebras.
On a different tangent, this morning I noticed one of my goldfish "lying" on its side at the top of the tank, then later it sank to the bottom and just "sat" there, it has also been quite slow since I did a water change. The other goldfish though is as active as hell, almost like its on crack! It swims around so energetically. What do you think could be the problem? Is it sick, do i need to do a water change? My water also looks abit milky.. I thought this would change, but its not clearing up. Advice anyone?

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

first the problem seems to be that your fish has a swim bladder infection, it's quite common in goldfish there are chems you can treat it with however more than likely it will be fatal, test your water, if it's milky it seems as though you are going through a major algae bloom, i would do a fifty % water change and don't add anymore fish till your water clears up. sift the gravel very well and wait and watch i think what's going on is that your fish has an infection and because of it it could be emitting more than the normal amounts of ammonia and it's causing your tank to go off balance and the biological filter in the tank is going out of control. take a sample of the water to your local pet store and have them test the water for everything, from ph to nitrite nitrate count as well as your ammonia levels that will indicate what you need to do, do not i repeat do not add water clarifyer as this can do further damage to the bio filter in the tank. also to prevent swim bladder issues, when you feed the fish take the pinch of food that you put in, keep it between your fingers and disburse it through the water that way this way the goldfish will eat from the food that's in the water and not floating on the top, when they ingest air this can cause the swim bladder issues.

i hope this helps
Brandon

thadru

by thadru

Dmn, thanks brandon, that's quite helpful. I am even leaving the office now to go and do it! :-) will let you know how it goes and if it works. Thanks again

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

No! Your lucky that your male beta is not killing the 2 gold fish

OscarFan18

by OscarFan18

Technically, I'm surprised that you betta is still alive. Goldfish should really only be with goldfish and the rule of thumb is 1 goldfish per 5 gallon.They are really messy and produce alot of amonia that can acually kill them!

gumbii

by gumbii

maybe it's not still alive...

the last time he posted was august 17th...

10 posts