filter switch

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

filter switch

by Snowboss4492

just bought a new wet/dry set up on ebay.................when it gets here i'll be taking the hagen 110 HOB filter and prizm HOB skimmer off my 20 long..............the new filter has 2 large baskets in it for media.........can i just take the carbon bag, phosban bag and bag of ceramic out of the HOB, put it in the new filter and go..........or should i put all new media in the new filter and season it? although i really don't have any room for the over flow if i leave everything on there at the same time {30 inch tank and the HOB skimmer and filter take up the whole back of it, lol enough flow??? hehehe}

also............ i know we have had the bioball conversations before.............should i just run with em and see what happens or should i just fill that basket with more ceramic ? {i use Eheim Mech} instead of the bioballs.........it seems to me that the ceramic rings are doing the same thing as the bioballs.no? i would eventually like to fill that area with rubble rock but don't have any right now

thoughts?????????

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hmmmmmm you hob.......does it have a sponge? If it does I would try to squeeze it in a compartment to help seed the bacteria. You could always use a bottle of cycle and just switch directly. Its just a bottle of bacteria......you can add the whole bottle and it wont hurt. thats completly up to you. I would just switch the media to the new filter.........and buy a bottle of cycle. BAM you switched.

snowboss

by snowboss

thanks for the idea........i'll try useing the sponge, but i don't like useing chems if i can help it ............i don't want to ruin the media in the HOB filter as i will be setting up a 10 gallon tank with it, as soon as the 20 long is stable on the new filter system

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I heard that bleach works good on copepods.....and speeds the bacteria growth..of course with the addition of bottled bacteria...hehe...idk bud never used all that stuff.....

swp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

????

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

lmao, dont do it...j/p

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i was all WTF......is pimp smokin algae......................lol

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

..hehe..i love algae...

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

lmao i was just wating to see the next post "pimp i dont know what went rong every thing in my tank is dyeing and terning white"

fihsboy

by fihsboy

HAHA, I was like what.......I have heard that if you put a small amount of table sugar in your tank it will significantly increase the amount of bacteria in your tank. :) They love the glucose

filter switch

10 posts