Nitrate and Phos levels

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

nicholas542

Nitrate and Phos levels

by nicholas542

I just tested my levels in my tanks before work. The Nitrate was around 40 ppm, and the Phos was .25 ppm. The other levels where fine in the tank. Are those nitrate and phos levels safe for my corals and anenomes?

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

They would be getting a little on the sick side with those sort of conditions. Corals expect a nitrate level of less than 10ppm, zero ppm if possible. Phosphate is not such a problem, but will cause algae blooms and diatoms. Try a water change and retest to see if the levels have lowered. Also maybe less feeding could be a result to keep levels lower. A lot of flake foods and pellets have high phosphate levels. Check the labels when buying to make sure they have a minimal level.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Thanks for the info. I just did a five gallon water change about three days ago, but i'll try another small change. Hopfully the re-test after will show a decline in nitrate.
The corals arn't showing any signs of sickness yet but i'm not going to wait for that to happen.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

My Nitrate levels are now hovering around 20 ppm and the phos is O ppm. I think converting my powerfilter to a mangrove refugium will deminish the nitrate levels to zero. Im going to modify the powerfilter and see what it does.

Nitrate and Phos levels

4 posts