Kuhli going in side filter is this safe???

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

my kuhli loaches keep some squeezing through some holes in my filter and because of them being kuhlis they are too hard to catch out again. most of the time i have to scare them out. but this is hard is there a way to stop this?

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I have heard of fish surviving in filters for quite a while. I actually had a female betta that loved to hop up into the tiny air-pump-powered filter in my 2.5-gallon to just hang out... maybe for the oxygenated water? Anyway, I found a tiny HOB filter for that tank so it solved that, but what kind of filter do you have? Wrapping panty-hose or some other kind of really fine mesh around a filter intake can solve problems like that.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i would put some kind of mesh or something over the holes. Like pantyhose or something. I think it was Jweb or someone on here that one of there Kuhils decapitated them selves this way.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

just buy a sponge cover for it.

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

I once had a ghost knife that disappeard into the filter tank and once I got him out he lived for a week more....poor guy.....it was my own fault for taking the guard off the suction during a H2O change....(never do that again)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Very shortly after I started fishkeeping I had 3 kuhlis in my 16gal. They were still very little but it didn't take them long to grow and one of their hiding spots was an anemone decoration with a hole at the base where the purchase tag was looped into.

I noticed after awhile that one of them had disappeared for a couple days and after some investigating I pulled the anemnoe decor up and saw him - decapitated.
Kuhils are very good at sneaking into very small hiding spaces but this one obviously didn't know his limits. He got into the hole but wasn't able to come back out.

Get a sponge intake cover as jweb suggested or get some nylon stalkings and cut a small piece out and wrap it around the intake with a rubber band or something. There must be some very large gaps in your intake for a kuhli to get in or they're just babies..

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

I bought a Kuhli loach last week and I havent seen him since...............I have a clown loach he has a great time.....but the Kuhli.....hiding I hope ????

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

lol check your filter!!!!!!!!!! and under rocks because of my experiences with my two striped ones and black one they hide although even though regarded as "NOT" as attractive as the striped version the black kuhli's seem to be more human friendly LOL hope he's alright , J

8 posts