Trumpet Call

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

Trumpet Call

by yasherkoach

I have been watching a new species in the tank: Malayan Trumpet Snails. I've been told these little guys over-populate a tank. I just wanted to tell anyone who has a "shell" to listen: these little guys do a fine job cleaning the gravel, and as long as the fish are not overfed, these little guys do a fine job tunneling thru the gravel.

These little guys, I bought 20 from AquaticPlantDepot for 37 cents a pop, and in time, they will put any gravel vacuum cleaner out of business.

These great little guys burrow through the gravel - very deep - to aerate the gravel, each help with plant roots. I highly recommend these little guys to help plant roots.

As long as you do not overfeed, you will find these little guys do a wonderful job.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I think I have some of those in my tank. They don't really procreate as fast as regular tank snails, and they do a good job cleaning up after goldfish. They are nocturnal, so you only really notice them in the early morning or late at night. Otherwise, mine just hide in the gravel all day, and they actually don't look too terrible, either.

I inherited mine with the tank, and they haven't really exploded in population at all... I have about ten, maybe, and it's been over a year.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Will they be okay in a cichlid tank??

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

jweb, if your fish are really really hungry, they may try. But Trumpet snails have very hard shells, so I wouldn't be too bothered by these snails getting eaten.

Puffers which have very strong jaws will crack open the shells of these snails. But as far as I know, trumpet snails get along with most types of fish including cichlids of all types.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Can I have the link that you bought them from?

acerkai640

by acerkai640

are they the same as the ones they sell at petsmart or are they different. i need something that will clean the extra algae from my tank and i have 3 otos and 1 albino bushynose longfin pleco and i still have algea everywhere can someone help.
-acer-

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I've never seen them for sale anywhere... I got mine on accident.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

aquaticplantdepot.com sells Trumpet snails for 37 cents a piece (this was about 2 weeks ago), there is a flat rate for shipping to various states, one is $12.00, the other $15.00 (no other price for shipping unless you want insurance, varies from $1.00-$5.00) and for orders under $50.00, you can request a styrofoam box for an extra $4.00.

At 37 cents a piece, I would recommend anywhere from 10 to 20 Trumpet snails unless you have a super clean tank, you can purchase more. These guys will breed more if there is more leftover food from overfeeding. Also these little guys burrow into the gravel, which helps to turn over the gravel, it works especially well in live planted tanks.

so aquaticplantdepot.com is a sure bet.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Here's an interesting fact about MTS. If you accidentally overfeed your fish and cause the population to explode (which it will) and then cut back on your feeding until food becomes very scarce -- rather than starve the MTSs will actually cannibalize each other.

spraky1413

by spraky1413

wierd... lol

Trumpet Call

11 posts • Page 1 of 2