evaporated water..going thru cycle.

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

eazy4647

by eazy4647

hey guys so i kno we prolly been over this. but help if u can. im going thru my cycle. some water has evaporated and my salinity is up to .1026 so. to refill my tank should i use salt water..or filtered water or tap water which is wat i have? problem is i live in nyc. in an apartment. so ive got tap water. would i be better off buying some real ocean water at my :LFS or use the tap/ or buy filtered water?

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Big NO NO. Salt doesnt leave the tank from evaporation. Adding salt water will raise your salinity through the roof. Conditioned tap water should be added to top off the tank. Make sure you aerate it for a while and the temp is the same as the temp in your tank. Salt water should only be added for water changes,

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

dude you should also not let your water evaporate alot.you need to try to make your tank as stabile as posible.

angus4481

by angus4481

its ok to have evaperating tanks only if you pay very close attention to the levels. I myself, walk past my tanks bout 20 times in a day to look at it. my tank has a hanging light fixture, and no glass on top. i have to put bout 2 gallons fresh in every 3-4 days. i think its better, because you dont have to do water changes as much. i do a water change every 2 weeks instead of every week. plus, you watch ur fish go through a cool behavior, like a tide.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

what you dont have to do waterchanges as much?? why because you have to top off 2or 4 gallons a week?sorry bud but i dont agree. the more stable the easyer it is to maintain a tank.

eazy4647

by eazy4647

so i could just put in unsalted water..sounds good ;] thanks alot guys!! man i love this site. just wsh it was more active..but thanks alot guys ;]

somalia123

by somalia123

i add four gallons(ro) a week due to evaporation(south florida) and do a 10% water change a week.

7 posts