Timing of Lighting

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Timing of Lighting

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

For lack of activity on the forum...anyone care to describe how they set up their lighting to simulate day/night cycle. I was thinking to make the actinic come on at 1pm and the flourescent at 2pm and have the actinic go off at 12am and the flourecent shuts off at 1am. This will complete a recommended 12 hour cycle for my FO system (no corals yet, so the intense and deep lighting needs not present)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

keep actinics on 1hour before daylight and 1hour after daylight. just my opinion!!

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

that was a typo on top. I meant to write flourescent goes off and then an hour late (2am) actinic goes off. is that correct pimp ?? did you mean actual daylight or (flourescent simulation)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

flouresent simulation

snowboss

by snowboss

ok now im confused - -I had a HUGE hair algae blow up a few weeks back and the advise i got was to keep my actinics on as little as possable {FO tank} as they encourage algae growth - so as of right now I have the floresents coming on at 7 am till 9 pm and the actinics come on a 6 pm till 845 pm {for nicer viewing of the fish . . .so now that the hair algae is pretty well gone, can I and should i bump the actinic time back up?

On a side note: after the hair algae went away I started the nasty brown crap stuff . . . it's getting much better but it almost looks like dust settleing in the tank....everyday I run the Magnet across the glass and blow everything off with a turkey baster - -bout an hour later the filters have taken care of everything and the tank is nice to look at for the evening....BUT it starts all over at 7 am when the lights come back on .... PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!!...snowboss

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

try reducing the amount of time your flourescents are on. I noticed your lighting is at 10,000K and the higher the Kelvin the more blue light(algae likes ble light) it is producing actinic or not. Just my opnion as pimp says lol

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

snow boss you need a skimmer, 1hr before and 1hr after daylight.algea does enjoy the actinic but also enjoys nutrients. so unless you get your nutrients in check the light is going to foster the growth of algea leave you light alone lol 14hrs is pleanty of light.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

also, is there any natural sunlight hitting the tank. That could be the source also?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i had my tank in front of the windows for 5 years . natural sunlight is the best source of lighting + it looks real nice and good for corals . if your nutrients are high then it will be a problem.

snowboss

by snowboss

gotta love this hobby!!!! every fix is a couple hundred more ...LMAO -almost as bad as boats, not quiet though [BTW I have a twin engine jet for sale if anyone is looking for a more expensive time consuming hobby, LOL]- -I have been looking for a skimmer - -but as of yet I can't find one that 1. is reasonably affordable [considering im saving to upgrade to a bigger tank with a skimmer already [wink] 2. there are a serious amount of disagreements on skimmers out here - for the most part I can read opinions on a piece of equipment or an idea and form a reasonable choice from there - -but skimmers? wow . .one loves it, one hates, one swares by it, another says it ruined his tank .....and thats just one brand....so whats a guy to do?

Timing of Lighting

13 posts • Page 1 of 2