Is it enough?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

Is it enough?

by fihsboy

Do you think a Brute 44 gallon trash can would be strong enough to hold the full amount of water? If so would it be smart to have a RO/DI can and a saltwater. How long could you keep Saltwater in a can like that with circulation and no exposure before it goes bad? Thanks guys:)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

a 44 gal can should hold 44 gallons of water.........for how i don't know.......

i mix a new batch of salt water immediatly after a water change because i don't want my power head to jam up when it dries out, so my salt water is 1-2 weeks old when i use it - -but thats 3-4 gallons

i would almost pick upa crappy 55 gallon tank for salt mixing that much water at once..................do you need 44 gallons of salt water on hand ???

go to lowes or someplace like that and buy some 25-30 gallon plastic barrels

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah it would but it would be a bitch if you ever had to move it full.......
i think as long as you had circulation and keept it shut so nothing could get into i am sure that it would keep for a long while................

newbie916

by newbie916

I have a 40 gallon rubbermade container that I keep about 20 gallons of saltwater constantly mixing. It has a lid that latches and I put a few containers on top of it so my little guy doesn't get into it. I haven't had any problems, but I need to add fresh RO every once and a while because it evaporates like in your tank.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

See thats what I kinda want to do. Keep about 20 gallons on hand at all times. Do my water change and make some more. maybe even 30 gallons. I only have a 29 gallon tank.........But I like to do a change every two weeks at the most.I have my new stand built and im trying to get everything stream lined before I do the switch. I dont need 44 gallons.......but it would be nice so when or if I upgrade my tank its just as easy. I do want to have one R/O and one Salt. So when I mix my new water all I have to do is pump some new fresh from one to the other and then add salt. BAM salt water. No more carrying buckets every where. :) Thanks guys.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

6 gallons would be a 20% change....................get a few 10 gallon containers from wal mart set one or two up with salt mix, and one with RO/DI water

i have a 5 gallon with salt mix running all the time, one with salt in it {to keep dry} and i use the 5 gallon jugs {from water dispensers} for all my RO water - - -set em on an upsidedown bucket and syphon into top off gallon jugs and into the salt mix container - - i have a 4 foot by 10 foot work bench in the basement that is salt water central, shelf with test equipment, misc parts and pieces, pumps, old filters, record keeping etc etc, and the water is on the bench itself........nice little area all dedicated to the tanks

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Im at work today (kohls) and I hear, Mike line 6, so i answer it and its my grandmother out of breath. YOUR TANK IS FLOODING! so I tell her not to touch anything......so she doesnt get shocked. I race home as fast as humanly possible and the overflow had got cloged by a turbo snail. GAY. I lost about 10 gallons of water.......this is why I want the water ready at all times. haha. I had to go to petco to buy water. 25 bucks for 10 gallons........thats highway robbery.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

is mike your real name fihs or is it michael?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

its michael.....but only my family calls me that for the most part.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

i have a cheap 45 g can i bought at walmart. hold water awsome with no problums. i got a 90,75,and 10 gallen tanks so i like to do it all at once. i know that my lfs youses a garbeg can to do changes on ther desplay tanks that are not conected to the main system. and it hold for a few days befor thay yous it. im shour you will be fin man dont spend a forten on a can you can git one at walmart for like 15-20$ just make shour there are no holes in it lol

Is it enough?

10 posts