Friends for Goldfish?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

charismarl

Friends for Goldfish?

by charismarl

So I have a relatively new goldfish tank but everyone seems to have settled in and life is cheery in my 55gal water world. I was wondering if there is anything I can put in with my goldfish to sort of diversify the population? I already have a few ghost shrimp and an algae eater. I know goldfish live in a pretty extreme environent with the nitrogen and the temperature and all that, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Mollies can go in ponds and stuff, so maybe you could get away with a few of them... not sure on that, though. I have three goldfish in a 55-gallon, and they will also have ghost shrimp and ottocinclus soon. I guess you can google to see if there are any compatible tankmates other than more goldfish.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

what tyoe of goldfish?

charismarl

by charismarl

2 ryukins, 1 oranda, and 1 black moor

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

koi
but nothing else has a guarentee to survive with them
give mollys a try

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I think koi are too aggressive... I mean they're not KNOWN that way, but it's not good to put koi with fancy goldfish because the koi is much faster and will nip the goldfish, generally...

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

well you have 4 "fancy" goldfish general rule with goldfish is about 30 gallons per fish. Mind you if you have exelent filtration and preform frequent water changes you should be find but keep in mind goldfish do get rather large 12" ish most people do not realize this because the dont take the proper care of them there life span should be 10yrs pluss even more if it is any kind of carp.... i.e. koi. Koi are not "agressive" but they do get large very fast and will almost always eventually need a pond or much larger tank. Ghost shrimp will eventully get eaten, honestly when i had my gold fish tank i would feed them live 3x a week with gostshrimp and and feeder guppies. Most "tropical fish will not house well with goldfish #1 they are cold water fish and do much better and are much happier when no heater is used. #2 goldfish are dirty..... dirty, dirty, dirty, not a bad thing but just means more water changes and a bigger bio-filter is needed. #3 there slime coat, gold fish have a really thick "slime coating" and can clog the gills of more sensitive tropical fish. Some fish you might think about is Chinese Hi-fin banded shark, They are really cool looking fish but also get quite large and do better in groups but are also a cold water fish. Misquito fish should do ok but are kinda bland looking, and mabey american flagfish they are algae eaters that are used in outdoor ponds alot. these are my opinions

fishboy711

by fishboy711

What? Koi aggressive? They're like Puppies! I've kept koi with goldfish for six years now and never had any problems!

On a different note, my personal opinion is that it is cruel to keep koi in tanks unless you have a realy huge (i.e. fishpond sized) tank.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i concur .....

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

The closest to koi I have right now is a koi/goldfish hybrid thingy. He's all white, but luckily he doesn't grow as fast as a normal koi would.

Maybe they only nip if they don't have the space of a pond.

Friends for Goldfish?

10 posts