What freshwater fish can you start off with

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

what freshwater tropical fish that look cool and are interesting to watch can you start with????

Thanks, J

bacrosslin

by bacrosslin

The ones that you have in your tank are fine to start with since they are inexpensive to start with. How long have you had your tank? You will want it to cycle properly before you buy more expensive fishies :)

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

i have had my tank for about three weeks!!!!!! not very long

thanks, J

bacrosslin

by bacrosslin

Just keep up the 25% weekly water changes, treat frsh water and do NOT wash the bio-filter in anything other than tank water. What i do when i do water changes is get a bow scoop up some tank water and wash it around in that than put it back into filer unit. The Bio filter retains all the good bacteria you need for you tank to stay healthy

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

what is a bio filter? Sorry about the stupid questions but im only learning! LOL

Thanks, J

bacrosslin

by bacrosslin

The filtration system you have prob came with ur set up. If so, it is single pump, and contains to type of filters, one on the inner most section of the pump Probably has a blue mesh on it (which the water should contact first), the filter closest to the exit of the filtration sys. is a black mesh filter, this is the bio-filter and awhen the tank is cycling this is where the beneficial bacteria will start to grow.

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

im not sure what you mean i have a filter that has a coarse blue filter mesh and a smooth blue filter mesh and a green nitrate mesh thing and a carbon black mesh thing. is the carbon mesh thing the bio filter?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

The one you want to swish in water will have the sponge type stuff in it. I wash all my filter media in tank water. If you do then you will not harm any bacteria in any of the parts. I am thinking its the two blue that you need to be careful with.

Hope that made sense because I haven't had my coffee yet LOL

bacrosslin

by bacrosslin

yeah same here i need red bul lol, the filters you can shake and hear the carbon rocks are disposable and change every 2 weeks. the others just rinse off with tank water and put back into your system. norm the blue mesh filters are the disposable ones.

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

cool thanks people that makes sense now so do i change the filter media every two weeks or can it be longer because i only get 5 bucks a week.LOL

12 posts • Page 1 of 2