filter box plan?

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

exactly, save your money, with a few lps a bunch of softies and a tank full of coraline you can use the basic ca/alk powders or liquid. but dont let me stop you if you plan works let us know, you might bo on to a great diy project..have you thought about a deep sand bed.....i agree with the kalkwasser being a pain in the ass, the testing to get it right is tedius...good luck

swp

singapore

by singapore

deep sand bed? what does that help with? other than draining my wallet?

haha just playing, but seriuosly, livesand aint cheap. what does a deep sand bed do?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

calcium based sand (aragonite) very cheap, 32 bucks for 40 lbs, it will help maintain calcium,buffer the water , and kill nitrates...aragonite has a higher ph also so it will help maintain ph at a safe level, you will still need to ad ca additives .

swp

fihsboy

by fihsboy

When I get my new stand up I was going to use a DSB. I want to Go with a 7 or 8 inch DSB in a 15 gallon sump and then plumb another 15 for heater,refuge,protein skimmer and return. But honestly..........how deep could you go before its pointless.....Water doesnt circulate all through all the sand....right?

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I'm a newbie to the saltwater reef game, but I have around 4.5 inches of substrate. I used 30 lbs. Florida crushed coral and 30 lbs. of live sugar sand. All I use is Balance blocks in my system and the calcium and PH seem to stay at a managable level.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

idk how deep is pointless if there is such a thing,i also have a 4 to 4 1/2 inch sand bed i love it, i dont know what any of my levels are yet,my water look great, i have a ton of copeods in my tank, more then when i first started, i belive that moe surface area is better,so i dont think 6 or 7 inches would hurt anything,if you dont put a light on it you wont need sand stirrers, also never see nitrates...

no the water wont circulate on the bottom half of the dsb,thats the part that prouduces denitrafying bacteria.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

So if I were to fill a kitchen trash can......or.....something tall and slinder with sand....and run water over the top of it.....would it have the same affect as a normal dsb? I was just curious. You could run a very high and very narrow enclosure with a ton of sand and run water of the top to help filter.

filter box plan?

17 posts • Page 2 of 2