filter box plan?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

filter box plan?

by singapore

so im thinking about buildig somethng to red my tank of phosphate, and possibly nitrate too. or boost my calcium level. i know phosphate and calcium reactors would do this, but im not in the mood to spend $700 for a system. so hows about this?

singapore

by singapore

the water will be pumped through a tube from a puwerhead in the sump into this filter box. then it will run through the media and hopefully be cleaned. then finally flow back down (by gravity) into my sump tank.

i want to put some CARIB-SEA ARM COARSE CALCIUM REACTOR MEDIA in space two and PÛRA PhosLock (possibly in a micron bag of media is too fine) in space one. does anyone here think this would be effective? or is this just a pipe dream?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

the theory is solid. . . . i don't know how much room you have in your sump and in the cabinet - - -but i am building something similar, only I'm using a 4 draw mini plastic cabinet from wal-mart {23.00} - - drilling a 1 inch hole in the top and building a "spray bar loop" to get the water to distribute all over the top drawer, drill lots of holes in the remaining three drawers and bottom of cabinet and fill each drawer with media of different forms, set this into the sump and let the return pump send it back to the tank - - - - in the sump it will be raised about 10 inches and then the water flowing from the "filter box" will run into a refugium and then over an 8 inch bubble wall baffle and then to the return pump, so in essence the plastic drawers are the filter and the sump is a refugium

but yes your idea is good, just make sure the only place water can get out is the exit to the sump, if the top is open and the media plugs up the water will come over the top of the box and then you gots a mess

Boss

singapore

by singapore

yeah i was planning on having this in my future sump. my future sump is a 55gal tank. so i should have room. im also contemplating just using my hospital tank that i built. its small enough to fit inside of my 55 gal. i may just put a whole bunch of mucron bags in that and let the water run through that.

singapore

by singapore

but do you think my system that i have drawn here would rid my tank of phosphates and boost my calcium?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

if you use a phosban media, yes ......calcium you'd have to talk to someone with more reef expierience than I - - -everthing ive read on here is people doseing with kalwasser and such, but im not 100% on that one , sorry don't wanna miss lead you in anyway

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

why are you so concerned with calcium ? in a softy tank it should be ok with water changes and minnor additions of calcium....keep it simple bud, its the best way.use a (pimp sock)..lol..200 micron bag and chemipure,or what ever media you want in side of it, and be done with it...imo

swp

fihsboy

by fihsboy

agreed with pimp. I was having the same problem and thats what I did. I just got a media bag through it in my sump right next to the sump pump and it worked great. Not a permanent fix........but neither should be phosban.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

btw the only thing I see wrong with your setup is lack of co2. A calcium reactor uses CO2 to lower the PH in your reactor. It circulates the water inside the reactor over and over and over.........and you drip new water in and drip the calcareous water out. When the lower ph hits the calcium media.....it dissovles the media..........making liquid calicum. SO a calcium reactor would have to be a closed system in itself. Solid Idea though. If you used calcium reactor media in this setup.........it would really just filter your water. But im sure somewhere there is a corporate exec reading everything we say on these threads for ideas......So keep coming up with ideas......im sure it will happen if it can. :) should it be by you or some company.

singapore

by singapore

its gonne be a softy tank for now. but i mean i definately want at least LPS. SPS are also beautiful. and when i get my big tank...i really want them. thats why im concerned about calcium. and the whole kalkwasser thing seems like a pain in the ass. but calcium reactor is ridiculously expensive. more than im paying for the tank itself...

filter box plan?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2