uni-quarium ????

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

uni-quarium ????

by Snowboss4492

anybody ever seen or had any expierience with one of these? a customer of mine bought a 200 gallon and it came with a crack in the top {not structual or anyplace it could leak, just holds the lights up} so he called the manufacturer and ended up getting a 300 gallon and 1000 bucks refunded for the damaged tank . . . .so he asks if they are gonna pay shipping on the 200 to ship it back and they told him to just smash it up and toss it in a dumpster ....LMAO ......needless to say he didn't, said he'd sell it to me for a grand...................i looked online and they start at 2,800 bucks with no pumps or anything . . . . . this one has everything but the protien skimmer - - -it would be an awsome self contained in the wall tank - - -if they're anygood?????

thoughts??

advice???

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

thoughts...
worth 1000 double cheeseburgers....
two semesters worth of books....
lotta beer... ha
do people really have that kinda money??

fihsboy

by fihsboy

dude thats almost two months pay......if its structurally sound hell why not....I know you have been looking for a larger aquarium of this sort. usually the uni aquariums have bio balls.....but all in all they are awesome from what I hear. all the filtration is right there........and you dont ever see any equipment. You can even plumb pipes to act as powerheads.....sounds like a good deal to me....if you have the time/patience/and money. :) of course im sure its acrylic......and i know if i were to go to pet supermarket I could get a brand new 210 tank stand and hood for 900 bucks. of course thats 72 inches long and well you know the dimensions.......insanely large. Its a good deal for the uniaquarium for sure.....in general its right with the new regular ones.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

this one is 96 inches long 20 tall 24 deep and yes its acrylic, which is making me nervous as well................my customer loves his 300 but is only doing a FO tank, it's kinda sad to see all that beautiful rock he has and then all he has is regular flourencent lighting, he has a black dogface puffy in there thats bigger than any chihuahua i've ever seen, lol this thing is a monster, an 8 inch long harliquin tusk and a couple of huge wrasse {6-8 inches each}

as i've been researching building a monster tank, i've priced cell caste acrylic and star fire glass for a plywood tank and time a matierials wood be far more than 1000 bucks.....................agian being acrylic and the filtrations capabilities are my major concerns

Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

They are nice though..my lfs has one of those its made from glass..the thing is incredible, always clean, its only a 40 gallon i think.you could probably build one of those false backs with a tank, and a chunk of glass, silicone. and a few other tools.

swp

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I think its a pretty good deal boss. acrylic is pretty damn strong.....yet scratches easily. So thats up to you. Personally.....If i had that kinda cash....I would buy a big a@# glass tank.....get a HUGE sump and go from there. maybe a 220 with a 100 gallon sump. do a 50 gallon water change a month. only thing is......protein skimmer would be costly for that size tank. I would like to know how sea world cleans there tanks.....honestly. Can you imagine how big of a dump a whale takes.....yet the tanks are spotless. no algae no wastes......yes they have like a billion gallons of water......but they still have to have an incredible filter. where do they get there water? anyways. You have been looking for a tank for a while. Question is.........is this the one you want. Dont settle....I did and now im just upgrading everything. Which is a royal pain in the @!## and a waste of money.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yeah but thats assumeing i already have the big tank built or bought - - - i still don't think i can build a 200 gallon tank for 100 bucks - - -i can't find cell cast acrylic out here for nothin

i did price a piece of 1/2 inch thick 7 foot by 30 inch star fire glass for my original plywood tank and just the glass was 770 bucks

Snowboss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah i understand that.........hmmmmmm. I honestly wouldnt trust myself building an aquarium...so I personally would just go buy a 220. There is a guy here that cant give his away. Hes selling it for 850? im pretty sure. anyways here you can get the 220 for a grand brand new with stand and everything....pretty sick deal really. :) I would go with pre built.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i really want to build one but this is gonna be in the living room of a new house, and although i consider myself a pretty compitent carpenter and craftsmen, um , i wouldn't wanna live with my wife if it failed for any reason.....lol . . . . plus just the shear time it would take to do it - - -no way would my wife let a project that size go on in the middle of the living room for a month or more.....lol they just don't get it , do they? - - - - - well it's prolly a good thing because i'd prolly have a motorcycle or snowmobile in the house if she'd let me

my dad used to use his Triumph motorcycle as a night stand in the winter so it wasn't out in the weather

Boss

uni-quarium ????

9 posts