SNAILS

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tsegura

SNAILS

by tsegura

I just started putting live plants into my tank about 4 months ago , now i have a snail problem. I've never had snails before and now they seem to be taking over, I remove as many as possible but they seem to be getting worse. will they hurt any thing and can i get rid of them, any advice would be helpfull.

a1k8t31524

Re: SNAILS

by a1k8t31524

i heard raw meat will attract alot of them to it and then you can remove abunch at one time....dont know if it works but sounds like it is worth a try

jackvicious

by jackvicious

Put a slice of cucumber or something similar down there and have that tied to a string. All the snails will attract to it thus making it very easy for you to just pull the string and remove them.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

try adding a fish that will eat them, in the future whenever you buy live plants rinse them for five or ten minutes under COLD water the snails will become sluggish and fall off the plants as well as the eggs that are on there will lose their adhesion and will fall off into the sink under the water, also if you have a smaller tank i would suggest some aquarium salt, you can raise the gravity a little bit in a fresh watter tank with out causing harm to your tropical fish. botias and loaches are great for eating snails. or if you have a community tank try adding a bolivian ram they have done wonders in my 55 gal as far as cleaning up the snail problem. not only that they are a colorful fish and about the only cichlid you can put in a community tank with out having your other fish disappear.

Hope this helps.
Brandon

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

never had had a snail problem beofre but I think there is chemicals that can get rid of them. The cucomber trick works good too i have heard!

SNAILS

5 posts