Pregnant Fish

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jesskam22

Pregnant Fish

by jesskam22

Ok well you all know that she was pregnant, and now i am the proud grandparent of 21 babies!!!!! Mom never ate any that i know of, and she is back in the big tank with out the babies....so no fatalities. :) So....what do i do with all these fish when they get bigger? Also, when i put mom back, dad went straight to her and did the vibrate/shimmy thing...can she have babies again this soon...hopefully not.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

What kind of fish? Livebearer or egg-layer? They can get pregnant again pretty quick.

As for the babies, see if your local fish store will buy some of them off you. You might be able to just get store credit, but that's pretty good, too.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

This is your Electric Yellow, right? Yes, she can lay eggs again this soon. Hopefully she will wait at least a couple weeks so she can eat and get her strength back before she holds again. Mine waited a month.

What to do with the baby's? Do you have them in their own tank? You can keep them there and let them grow out and hopefully you have a LFS that will take them.

Feed them baby brine shrimp (I use the frozen kind) or take flakes and crush it up extremely fine. I would squirt the food right into where they hang out until they got big enough to find it on their own (a week or so). Now all my "kids" do the top of the tank dance when they see me, so cute!

jesskam22

by jesskam22

Yes that is her. I gave the babies shrimp pellets. The pellets softened and the babies are feeding off of that. Is that ok? They do seem to like the tiny bit of shrimp cube i put in there. I had also put a piece of panty hose over the filter to keep from losing any wanderers, but i feel the tank is clouding up. Are they big enough even after a few days to keep from getting sucked in?

I also had a question about your tank dizzcat. I love the large rock and the sand. It is a beautiful tank. Your plants look great even the fake ones....my question is, how do you keep your fake plants from looking shredded or discolored. I have had the same fish from the beginning so there shouldnt be any disease/gross stuff, yet my green plants look brown in places and the edges are starting to unravel. any suggestions? I thought my tank looked nice, but after seeing everyone elses, my tank looks like crap. I would post pictures but i think it looks cheap compared to yall's. lol

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Thanks for the complement on my tank. The plants I have in there are plastic plants, so they don't shred. I pull them out once a month or so and scrub them down because they get covered in the brown stuff too. (like today, eww!) The brown stuff is just algae and comes of pretty easy with a tooth brush (I use a nail brush to scrub my stuff). I have never tried the silk plants, so don't know how easy it comes off. My son calls me anal because I scrub everything but the filters LOL.

I actually make some of my own plants. I get the plastic plants from the hobby store, pull the wires out (they will rust) and sometimes tie pieces together with fishing line to make them longer. That is how I got the tall grassy looking plants. Then tie the end to a chunk of rock so it will stay down and push it into the sand.

The fry: well, what I did was turned the filter down to low, and then watched for a couple days. When I no longer seen anyone get stuck to the intake with the nylon on it I took it off. The smallest are now 3 weeks old and I have not had the nylon on since they were about a week old. They are big and fairly strong when born. The filter is back on high now and they love swimming in the flow :-)

Pregnant Fish

5 posts