Sumps are they really necessary ?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I just started a reef tank about eight months ago, and all the fish and corals are doing good. My tank is a 40 gallon, and I have heard mixed reviews on sumps. Some people have told me they are absolutly necessary for reef tanks. Other people have told me they are mainly too keep all the hanging protein skimmers and filters, aswell as micro-bubbles out of site. Any impute on this subject and anyting else would be great.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

in the long run......you will appreciate a sump. you dont HAVE to have one. I ran my tank for 4 months on a hob filter and a hob protein skimmer......you can do it for sure. Its not really necessary BUT it will make water changes easier......it will add to the stability of your system it will help culture food it will house ugly stuff you dont want in a prestine reef environment........It can cause problems though such as flooding if not properly set up. Do some research and build you your own. With a 40 gallon tank you could add a 30 gallon sump easily. silicon in some dividers hook up a pump, add some water and media add an overflow..and everything that was IN your tank is now below. Its all based on preference.

schigara

by schigara

I didn't realize this was still a debate.

It's so cheap and easy to use a sump with zero downside. It's a no-brainer.

The only preference is one based off of a slight cash flow problem.

Sure, you could have an awesome tank, with no sump, but why would you want to remove that extra bit of cushion?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Check out the back of your tank and the compare it with people that have a sump.......you can put more in your tank. With a sump you can simulate the reef exactly...........well almost. But the way my tank is set up im trying to make it look like i got a chain saw.......cut a 30x12 piece or reef out and dropped it in my tank. Some people like to see how it works.......but I kinda like to hide everything to the best extent so people wonder how i keep my water soo clean and everything living well. im in the process now of building a bigger cabinet so i can house all my additives and my sump comfortably. necessary..........not at all....desireable? completly!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lets talk over flows................ive been reading a lot on Melsreef.com, awsome site if your into DIY stuff BTW, i have an extra 10 gallon glass tank, that i'd like to make into a sump, all the baffles and setting oup of the sump itself is no problem for me, my concern is the overflow, not just the cost if i were to buy one, but the fear of flooding my liveing room, i don't want to tear down the 20long and drill it so that option is out..............how is everyone with sumps and non drilled tanks handleing this potential problem?? or are we all just rolling the dice and gambleing on the flood issue???

Boss

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Snowboss: I used an overflow box and PVC pipes from Lowes to hard plumb my sump. Everything is working great, just make sure and install a few ball valves so you can ajust the return pump and shut off the overflow box.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I just bought an overflow........for 35 bucks...no matter how hard you try........it will start right back up where it left off......in the event of a power failure. Its just a U tube overflow and the way it was designed is pretty much perfect. i paid 40 bucks for it. I want to move to a C siphon overflow......Basically with the U tube there is less possibiltiy of it getting air bubbles because its round not a long straight line. so even if it gets a few bubbles it still sucks. The problem I have is not with the overflow, but with the return line. I havent installed a check valve yet.....so it just siphons through that. I want to move to PVC but for now im using all soft tubing. it works though. my boss at work uses the same U tube overflow and living in florida with storms.......power goes off. or flickers. BUT hes had his overflow running for 7 years.......without one flood. After its set up correctly.......its not a problem.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

k - - i'll research u-tube overflows, i've been reading on the wear overflows but they look very bulky

fihsboy

by fihsboy

The C siphon overflows are only an inch in your tank. which is GREAT.......which is why they are so popular. Now the only downside.......they cost more and they require a pump for insurance.........But with that pump you will never loose siphon either. The pump just sucks the air and water out of the C siphon making it continue siphon. Its pretty awesome. I would like to get one for the Bulky reason as well. :)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

so this "C" siphon should "auto start" when the power goes out and then comes back on? and does a C siphon have a skimmer box? or is it just a pipe hanging over the side of the tank ??

11 posts • Page 1 of 2