ich

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kei9th

ich

by kei9th

i think i have ich. ive read alot about ich but it seems to pertain only to freshwater. how can i get it under control. my fish dont all to have it, and they are eating and breathing normally. no one seems to be rubbing themselves on rocks or anything? i have no idea how to get it to go away except for turning up the heat and using copper? i would hate to lose my tank i really am enjoying it. and for that matter so is my girlfreind, its been awhile since we have both found something in common. any help is appreciated. by the way i got seawater from a different store than usual, could i have gotten it from them? they claim to have fresh seawater and then filter it. so maybe they are blowing smoke and now my tanks done for?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

do you have a quarinteen tank ? whens the last time you added a fish to your system ?i dont know much about ich ,i never had many fish.so i will follow this post since my new tank will have a bunch of fish...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

nah your not done for. Just treat it with a marine ich product. If you have a quarentine move your fish to that........if not........just dose your tank lightly and continue frequent water changes. This will get rid of it in time. Just keep your head up bud and keep dosing. :)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

but if you plan on corals you will never get the cooper out..

singapore

by singapore

i just got over an ich breakout.

I removed ALL my fish from my display and i put all my fish in a 20 gal tank. you must get all the fish out of the display in order for the parasite to die off. and lowered the salinity in that tank to about .016.... then i added a few drops of ich medication that i bought from my lfs. i kept the tank oxygenated with an air pump. i left them in there for about 13 days. after the quarantine period, i put them all back in the display, and it was cured. havent had any problems for about 3 weeks. knock on wood.

kei9th

by kei9th

i put them all in qt tank the display tank just has a cbs,an anenome and a few crabs and hermits. ill keep them all in the qt tank for 2 weeks with 100 percent water changes everyday hope that kills off this parasite. i feel like a bad parent my salty kids are sick. i added a skunk clown a couple days ago. ive bought all my fish from the same place. ive gotten to know the guys there pretty well, and they let me know if buying something is a good idea or not. they dont seem to be trying to just take my money, and all their fish are healthy. i cant dose my tank with any ich medication because of the live rock. thanks everyone i hope this dosent kill my saltwater spirit

fihsboy

by fihsboy

DONT OVERDOSE ICH MEDS! I did it with my freshwater fish thinking it would cure them faster......VERY wrong I was. Ich drowns out the ich and it will do the same to your fish if you OD. I would do 50% water changes just to keep your fishes gills appreciating you. and that way it doesnt get to costly....Ich can come from a fish just being stressed out. Just like when we over do and get stressed.....we get sick........same thing with them. Your skunk clown was probably the coulpret......future reference.......quarantine them for a few weeks to make sure they are nice and clean before you get them in your main tank. :) You can put them in very low salinity water and this will also help aid the process of getting rid of ich. and other parasites. Singapore knows about this for sure..........he just went through it a week ago...

ich

7 posts