topping off

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

topping off

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

im hearing not to use aloe stress zyme to condition tap water, but barely any LFS have aloe free conditioner. Any feedback or opinions...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

if possible dont use tap water, try ro water, i never used conditoners sorry

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

does that mean reverse osmosis?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

yes

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

ro units are so expensive....i thought since it was a FOWLR tank I would be fine premixing in bucket with dechlorinated tap water..

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

my friend used the screw on type of filter from brita. i guess its all about prefrence. dose your local fish store sell it by the bucket? also i think a cheap ro unit is like 150 bucks.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Hi!
I used tap water for about 3 years, then I switched for RO. Thanx God I did:-) I still don't have RO unit of any kind. I go to Walmart once a week with two 5 gallon buckets, and fill them up. I use 7-8 gallons when I do water change, and the rest for top off. I pay 2.90 for that. Makes me exercise a bit, which I don't mind too much.I've never had to deal with high nitrate and,or the very "popular" ick-ich disease ever since. I wish we could ask the fishes which one they like better...:-) I bet they'd choose the RO water. I'd never put any tap water in my tanks again, that's for sure. When u put Prime ( or any other dechlorinator) in your tank you're introduce -no matter what the bottle says- unwanted chemicals into your water. Dechloronation can not happen without chemicals, or proper filterization. It helps to dechlorinate the water, which is a must in the case of tap water. So there you go, you have to use that stuff... If you deal with RO water, u'll never have to use any dechl. anymore. In my opinion all saltwater environments should based on some kind of filtered water source. Again, it's only my opinion.
Last edited by dick_headers on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i agree with dick!!

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Just call me Sonny, dick headers is only my user name... It'd be a rough life to live with a name like this...:-)

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

I have a 5 gallon bucket. I am going to fill it up and put tap conditioner in it and stir it up. The mornings that i need to top off i will aerate the water for 10 min with a power head from my tank or take some airline tubing from one of my airstones and stick it in the bucket and then top off. Is this correct? I don't have a walmart and I'm not sure if it is more costly to buy tap conditioner every once in a while or buy a distilled water source in a bucket(sounds too time-consuming). I'm not sure who sells that, I dont have a walmart around me. Also, should I buy a mini-heater to make sure the water I am adding is the close to the same temp. (I am tryin to come up with the quickest(most efficient), cheapest, and safest routine for topping off and water changes to an FO tank.) If anyone could share a safe and quick routine with me, without going overboard, that would be appreciated..Thank you in advance.....

topping off

13 posts • Page 1 of 2