Live Rock off the internet

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

The internet looks like the cheapest for live rock. There is no way im paying LFS prices. I like the sport but trying to cut cost but not at the expense of water quality. Any suggestions and should i be trusting companies with claims of cured live rock at $1.99/LB . Right now I only have about 10lbs of lace rock in my tank. In second week of SW cycle.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

there are many factions out here with very different opinions on live rock - decent cured live rock seems to be running 6 to 10 dollars a pound online and in stores - IMO less than that is questionable, more than that is just silly unless your setting up a pro tank or something.
I also am a believer now that anything pourus you put in your tank will eventually become "live" - I have a 20 gallon long tank with 8 lbs of $9.99 a lb live rock and 12 lbs of $3.99 a lb dried coral that in the past couple weeks looks almost like the live rock and in a few more weeks you won't be able to tell the difference - I believe in this so much that I'm going to be setting up a 65 gallon tank here shortly with a "non-live' sand substrate all "non-live" rock structures{lace rock} and I'm going to do a fishless, no chemical cycle - filler up, set the salinity, drop in 3-4 clean shrimp from the grocery store [yup the ones you eat] and wait 6 weeks - hope this helps, this is my expierience, it works, but by far NOT the only opinion or way to do it - - just mine, good luck

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

live rock is a key source for a healthy fish tank . i just uploaded pics of my rock 6.99 lb. some times you have to bargan with your dealer . if they are willing to work with you then they normaly will drop the price. other wise i could not come up with the dough for 10.00 a lb rock.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

interesting perspective and words are starting to sound like that of a gowing hobbyist...Maturing you are young skywalker

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

may the tidal force of a TUNSE power head be with you ...LMAO

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I think this is a very good question. Here's the deal. If you have a healthy and wise ( not a smartass but wise ) LFS owner, then he or she probly have some good lookin' live rocks in store for ya'. 10.00-13.00 dollars/lbs., but you'll go like W O W!!! Full of purple, red, orange coralline algaes on them, maybe some oyster growing on them if you're lucky. Those colors on the rocks are there because the owner knows what he's doing. DO NOT BUY THOSE ROCKS WITHOUT EXPERIENCE!! You'll take them home put them in you cycling tank, and that's it. Been there done that. All those beauties on the rocks will start to die off, and that can kill your soul. BUY THOSE ROCKS WHEN YOU HAVE A MATURED WELL CYCLED TANK. Water parameters are also very important matters. If you put your rocks onto a FO tank, you probably never paid any attention to calcium or magnesium levels, which is alright. But when it comes to live rock, you suppose to watch you CA at least. With good Mg level would be even better.

I'd recommend to buy live rocks online, specially if you are about to start a new set up. When you'll receive those rocks, you'll might say"Damn there's only few purple spots on them, nothing like the one's at the LFS"but it's all good. That's why you paid a bargain price.Let see how good aquarist are you? Can you multiple those purple spots? You should, if you can't you're probably not ready for those beauties at the store. It is so awesome when you wake up in the morning and you find "fresh" coralline growth on your rocks or glass, so you know you're on the good track. Also never introduce those "online rocks" for a matured healthy set up. That's when you have to pay the high price, from a healthy source. My point is, rocks bought online ( good source petsolutions.com, foster and smith's ) perfect for a new set up, or start wuth. Otherwise cure them before you put them in your main tank... GEEE!! I GOTTA GO TO SLEEP!!! Next time slap me..:-)

angus4481

by angus4481

i agree with Mr. Head to a Point. IDK bout buying LR online, i like to see what im buying up-close n personal.You cant have a starter tank grow all the algea frome the store, at first. you shouldn't buy that for bout a year, unles you know what you are doing. Stick with LR that has been cured by a store you trust. curing is the hardest part of the process to having a nice tank. Basicaly what im sayin is....Patients is the key when starting. o, and petsolutions IS the best for marine supplies. just my opinion

7 posts