nitrates , through the roof

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ok so i'm moveing my salt working area {where i keep my premixed water, RO water, salt pumps test eq, etc etc} tody and decide to do a water test on the tank

everything is perfect accept my Nitrates are 120-160 according to my API liquid drop test kit - - -so i panic {of course} run the test 3 times all with the same results, so i get my newer Instant Ocean powder test kit out{ which i don't care for} and nitrates are testing at 20- to a very light 40 ppm - - - - still not good but not as bad as the other kit...........WTF??

so as of now i added a little more water to my premix tank and I'm gonna do a 4 gallon change tomorrow {it's a 20 long tank}

and retest on monday i guess?

would my temp running between 80-82 make my nitrates run high like that?

the tank looks friggin awsome, nice pod population, active crabs and snails - - the 3 clowns seem happy

thoughts??

Boss

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Anything dead, NO
Overfeeding NO
Well read this post about expiry dates on chemicals, and learn my story. TRUE STORY
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpbb/viewtopic/1591

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

nothin dead, not over feeding - - -i remember that post now, i must be some kinda stupid but i can't find the experation on the API test - - -i'm sure it's old as hell because the LFS i got it from doesn't sell a lot of salt equipment ......so it was probably on the shelf for 2 years before i bought it and I've had it for a year - - - blah blah blah . . . .i need to throw it out and replace it

i do have a little bit of Cayano Bacteria showing it's ugly head and havn't done a large change in a while {like 3 months} so i think I'll go ahead and do the 4 gallon change here in a bit and do a good tank cleaning while i'm in there

thanks for the reassurance bud

Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

shortly here i will be useing dry test kits they are less likely to fail. its somthing to think about boss..i hope they are not that high,good luck
pimp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i have the instant ocean dry kit and it tested at 20-40 ppm - - -i just asked schigara what he thought of the dry kits...............i don't like them because theres a little bit of powder left in the little tiny foil packet and im worried about getting an inacurate test - - -ut if they are testing solid then i'll use em - - -the other thing i don't like is you can only run one test at a time whereas the API liquid kit i canrun 4 at a time

you got that tank cycleing yet ???????
Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

NO my girl wants me to paint the room first before i can do anything..she is a pain in the ass ,i have to paint once a year(now her crazy ass wants the room red with snow white trim). well mabie i will do a little more recarch on test kits liquid vs dry . to me it seems worth the extra time to get a accurate reading regardless of liquid or dry..

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

true true ..........

dude you gotta paint???............IM BUILDING A HOUSE, lol just imagine the design choices in that.......lol.......gotta love em though

7 posts