Frog Question..

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Caylyn2187184

Frog Question..

by Caylyn2187184

What kind of frog is this, how do they breed and when?? Thanks

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

a picture would help

Caylyn2187184

by Caylyn2187184

dizzcat

by dizzcat

African Clawed Frog :-)

Caylyn2187184

by Caylyn2187184

is it possible to mate them?? I found something about the males have the black on their paws. I cant find anything on how to breed though...any ideas?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

they reach sexual maturity areound 12 months old you can tell if they are male or female by looking at their back end, in females it dips in and in males it sticks out, you will know it when you see it
ad far as breeding them from what i know it is hard to do i think that the eggs are most of the time fertilized by the berson breeding them themselves, they inject the female with hormones and they lay the eggs then the breader will fertlize the eggs...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Hi there,

You should probably do some in-depth research on ACFs, or maybe you already have by now. They do have some special considerations including (but not limited to): 1. the females can grow to 6 inches, males about half that, 2. they shouldn't be handled because their skin is sensitive to drying out, 3. they can live 10-15 years, 4. they are aggressive eaters and are not picky about their cuisine....they will eat anything they can latch onto so they shouldn't be kept with fish, other frogs, invertebrates, etc. They'll even grab onto inhabitants bigger than them.... Google ACFs, and read on.

I have African Dwarf Frogs.....just as cute and MUCH easier!

Zambize

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

and don't buy the dwarf (non-clawed) frogs. I bought $30.00 worth of these frogs (5 of them), and in about 3 weeks all had died because the frogs were unable to reach the surface to retrieve air. The frogs were too stupid, sadly, to step up on any platform to the surface, they would struggle up the water column and by the time they reached, gulped air and came back down, the strenuous reach exhausted them.

dwarf frogs need a low tank, about 12" high...my depth is 18", not good.

Just a thought

zambize

by zambize

The frogs aren't stupid, they swim to the surface as naturally as we walk and talk. They either weren't healthy or something was obstructing their ability to reach the surface, like intimidating fish, a strong current, or one of a hundred other things. I have these frogs and it is extremely unlikely that 5 healthy frogs in the right environment would be too stupid to breathe naturally.

The frogs don't step on platforms. They swim upwards and then dart at the surface grabbing a breath of air, extremely quickly at the last moment. If their only access to the surface was to use a platform, then they would have drowned.

18" isn't ideal but it isn't uncommon to find them in a tank this size. It wouldn't have killed all 5 frogs.

Z

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I read online somewhere that the frogs needed 12" or under height, so I assumed this was the reason the frogs died.

I did buy the frogs from Petsmart (in my book it was a no no, but I was looking for some dog food and I wound up browsing the fish tanks and sadly, I was drawn to try something new, so I purchased the frogs). Possibly the frogs from Petsmart were ill or weak, like you say. I hope this is the case.

I really dig these little fellas, and if I could buy some more I would without a doubt. So you think the frogs may have been ill to begin with? There was nothing in their way to the surface of the tank. The frogs would swim quickly to the surface, gulp air then go back down. The frogs lied on the gravel lethargically.

Let me look at my log book, brb.

Here is the breakdown:

purchased 5 African Dwarf Frogs on JUne 4, 2008

3 frogs died on June 6, 2008
1 frog died on June 7, 2008
last frog died on June 21, 2008

so you thnk I should purchase some more frogs, then I will. I like these little guys. They compliment the Olive Nerite snails, the ghost shrimps and the freshwater clams (golden clams). I'll either buy them online or at a LFS (unless you have some place online you think I should go to).

I do appreciate your response. I thought it funny that they all died so quickly, but after reading that 1 article about the height of the tank, I just assumed this was the cause of their deaths. Possibly they were just unhealthy.

Thanks for your feedback, I wasn't expecting such good news.

Frog Question..

17 posts • Page 1 of 2