snail breeding

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cyndrine

snail breeding

by cyndrine

Help. this is going to be one of the weirdest questions i believe. But I am deliberately trying to breed mystery snails. Do you need to do anything special for this to happen? Or just have 2 snails and let them be?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I like snails myself. I like the way they go around cleaning algae off the plants and glass, and I like the kind of little cone snail that hides by day down in the gravel and comes out in the thousands at night. There's a buch of stuff on mystery snails if you check the internet. They are supposed to lay eggs above water and I think each snail has both kinds of sex organs. They should breed on their own and they don't like soft acid water according to some. The acid water eats away at their shells. You should not have a problem if the other fish aren't eating the eggs or babies.

cyndrine

by cyndrine

didn't realize they laid eggs above the water line. seems i have been cleaning them off thinking they were a mysterious type of growth i couldn't figure out and was trying to figure out how to treat. hehe oops. the eggs are laid in a clump of pick colored eggs. when they hatch they will drop down into the tank and presto more tank cleaning snails.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Very cool.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Just lower your water level down about 5 inches, and they will crawl up and lay their eggs. Mine lay a batch about twice a month of about 100 eggs per cluster. Here is a pic of mine.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/17278

snail breeding

5 posts