Switching filers

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

yngvai777

Switching filers

by yngvai777

Hi,i'm going to be upgrading the filtration in my 80gal saltwater tank from an Aquaclear 110 to a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter.My question is what is the best way to "seed" the media in the new filter??Can i put the bio filtration media from the old filter into the new one,or would it be better to run them both simultaneously??

Also will the new filter media cause my tank to cycle again??

Thanks guys.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Hi,
I checked your profile, and I wouldn't recommend to take off the old filter. I mean it wouldn't hurt anything, but you'd have more filtration/movement/circulation. Which would be great on your 75G set up.

On the other hand if you'd like to switch the filter and the tank has been set up at least 6 month, you can switch it right away. You don't have to seed or anything like that.

The new filter won't start a new cycle, not even a "mini-cycle". Do the switch when you do your next waterchange, and just add an extra 1-2 gallon for the new canister.
Good luck to your project!!

yngvai777

by yngvai777

Thanks for the sage advice man!!The reason i want to get rid of the old HOB filter is because the waterfall from it is really noisy and the tiny bubbles make a mess all over my tank and lighting hood.

Thanks again

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Yeah, I've been there. You can play with the flow, or do more frequented water top offs. A well set up( flat surface, tigth connections) canister will solve bubble problem, period

You're welcome!

Switching filers

4 posts