My fantail calico goldfish has swim bladder. HELP!

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sunflowergirl

by Sunflowergirl

Hi all,
After 2 rounds of antibiotics, salt baths, and mushed peas, my fantail calico is still upside down. But, she only swims upside down after eating. I fasted her for a week she swam fine the whole time, but as soon as I fed her she went upside down again! She turns right side up about 12 hours after feeding, but once I feed her again, she is upside down again. I even switched to sinking pelletted food so she wouldn't swallow air when she eats at the surface, but nothing helps. I have 4 other goldfish in the tank (it's a 30 gallon) and they are all fine, it's just the one goldfish this happens to. This has been going on for 2 months, I thought she would have been dead long ago, I can't believe she has lasted this long. I keep expecting to find her dead one morning, but she's still hanging on. You would never know anything was wrong wit her, she eats fine, looks great, etc.
She just floats behind the filter output upside down every day. Is she suffering like that?
The water is clean, regular water changes, gravel vacuumed, etc., PH 7.2, ammonia 0, I also use salt in the water, 1 tbsp per 5 gallons water. I would love any advice on this one. Thanks!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Damn. I'd say take a needle and remove some gas from the air bladder but I don't know anyone but a vet who would try such a thing.

Gumbii seems to know a lot about these fish. Maybe there's a medication or special food that would help.

I'm thinking that I have heard of a medication for this a long time ago.

Good luck.

Sunflowergirl

by Sunflowergirl

Thanks for the reply and the info!

gumbii

by gumbii

did you try putting a grain of epsom salt in a pea...???

that usually works for me... also... keep it on a gel or pea diet for a wile... sounds to me that it's way to serious, and you've done all that could be done... take it to a vet... but that's expensive for a goldfish...

and BTW... i have taken some of my goldfish to the vet... on time it was for this... they did surgery... there was no way i was going to lose a 200 dollar black ranchu... so what's another 80 bucks...???? lol...

also... check out the buddies on www.goldfishparadise.com i used to spend alot of time over there, but i'm not really needed there...

good luck and keep us posted...

4 posts