HELP!! paint job screw up!

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

k so i started touching up on my aquarium paint, rustoleum spray paint on glass and the first coat was PERFECT... nothing happened at all except i taped off a lil funny on the top so i was applying another coat to the area so it would touch it up and i must have sprayed too mcuh in one area because it bubbled up a spot about 2 in by 3 in... you can see it from the inside of the tank with light showing from the outside going in.... wtf do i do!?!?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

calm down for one................lol

if it's at the top of the tank, within a month you won't see it anymore because algae will be covering it...............second, if you can barely see it without a light behind it you'll be the only one that knows it's there .........ask someone to "check out" your paint job, if they don't pick up on it ............let it go

other option..............strip it and repaint

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

damn.... idk i put my gecko light where the fixture will go and it like reflects light back inside somehow.. idk its weird... you can def see it, its on the left side of the 90 degree corner part about an inch from the end and right under the lip so i might try to put a powerhead there if it will make good circulation...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

you might be able to get a razor blade and cut that section out and repaint it. Maybe that will work.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yeah .but be very careful, you don't want to disturb it to much or you'll really see the "repaired area" - - -you have to think about this paint job in reverse, fixing a run on a car would be like fixing the back of your tank, it sounds like a prep issue to me oil from your hands, dust, a chemical you used to clean it with............it doesn't take much

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah i have thought about that the only thing i did to it was clean it with a paper towel and glass cleaner... it looks as if there is air bubbles that got caught and then wrinkled.... anyways i jus decided to say screw it, i dont wanna mess it up more so ill figure something out later on that...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Coraline will cover it...top of my tank is covered. If not....if your going to get an overflow box.....put it there.......if your going to get a HOB put it there....Either way you can hide it some how.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i agree...let it be and it'll cover itself naturally

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Clean it off with a razor blade. Then clean glass with pure methalated spirits, then apply with a mini paint roller. One coat paint per day. allow a day to dry.
You'll be right mate.

9 posts