I'm hoping to upgrade to a larger tank -- need your input!

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I've got a 37 gallon tank and I want to go up to the next appreciable size without stepping into another stratosphere of tank issues and maintenance. Should I be thinking 55, 75?

How would you stock a new 55 or 75 gallon tank? I've been stuck in the land of small tanks for so long I haven't even thought of how I'd stock one this size. It wouldn't be required, but I'd probably move my current residents to the new tank.....and they are 1 Red-Tail Black Shark (1.25"-1.5"), 8 Corycats, 1 Pearl Gourami (4"), and 4 Platy. The Platy have somewhere else I can put them, but the other guys are fairly permanent where they are. The 55 may or may not be big enough for adding fish, but the 75 would. :) Or am am I getting in over my head with a 75?.....I still use buckets to change the water....

Thanks!
Darrien

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I don't own a large tank either... yet... I plan to do the same as you. I would like a 55, but a 75 would be better. Then I will put my puffer in my 30 gal, and use the 75 for cichlids.

I don't think you can get in over your head with tank size, as long as you can afford the equipment and have time to provide the care for it you should be fine. And remember, you don't have to completely stock it to its entirety, it's okay for the fish to have room =).

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Go with a 75 gallon or whatever you can get a good deal on. Why not?

zambize

by zambize

Very funny, Peter. Very funny....

I asked about getting in over my head *because* I realize that a tank twice as large may have different requirements, like needing types of equipment and maintenance that I haven't experienced yet. Or all sorts of factors that may be considerations for a 75 gallon, but not a 37 gallon. So in planning to "simply" move to a larger tank, I didn't want to bite off an *entirely* new experience, at least not without knowing what to expect....

Zambize

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Generally the larger a tank is and the less understocked it is the less problems you're gonna have. There's much more water for things to cause pH swings in, your fish will be happier than they ever would be in a 37gal. With large schooling fish like tetras and your corys there's very nice displays of them moving from one side to the other where in my 16gal they just kind've swim in circles lethargically.

Of course you'll need more equipment meant to handle larger volumes of water, perhaps a canister filter which will need less frequent maintenance than a HOB, but will probably also take longer to cycle. You'll need far more substrate to create at least 2" of covering all over the tank, and more decor, more fish feeding (if you're gonna fill out your schools and shoals with more fish for a more dramatic effect). Other than the initial cost of the tank and stand itself which everyone here recommends buying used, and the filtration/lighting (if you're sticking with some live plants it'll take a good bit more wattage to get 1-3wpg.)

10% of 75 is well...7.5 gallons. So if you're doing 10% water changes (weekly-bi-weekly depending on fish stocking and whether or not its planted) and have a nice lid that doesn't allow a great deal of evaporation, you're going to have to replace at most 8gallons for a water change. Maybe 6 gallons tap, 2 R/O or something.

The end result: Your fish will feel more at home and natural with the freedom to move around despite the small spaces we often find acceptable to cram them in for our own entertainment. Very few fish were meant to live in 10 gallons let alone 30, or even 75 sorry. =P Yes, I'm a hypocrite. If your significant other approves...
wait, how do you plan on getting around her anyway? Midnight purchases? Sneaking stuff in the garage @ wee hours of the morning? lol

Z, considering how much time you've spent in the hobby you've been through a few upgrades pretty fast, skip the 55. lol Get a freaking 75, a RENA filstar XP3 (350gph) and be done with it for the good of yourself and your home. =D

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea. I think you're worryiong too much. Jump right in and you'll be fine. Get the Rena XP3 and have fun.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I would get the 75. As far as your lady friend, I would wait until Christmas to get it, buy it and put it under the tree with HER OR BOTH NAMES on it and from Santa, and then you'll be good to go, Santa brought it and that makes it legit. The water filters are not all that different. I personally like the AquaClear 500 that is for 100 gallon, ($59.00), that would be perfect for a 75. It hangs on the back of the tank, and It has a nice wide steady stream of water that flows out, and I also like the tea-bag-type of charcoal bag that doesn't get all slimy like the cartridge filter with the blue pad that clogs up the filter that you have to replace so often. This type of tea-bag filter goes for about 6 months. Besides buying the new bags for the filter, just cut a slit in the bag, dump out the old charcoal and refill it with whatever you want and stitch up the hole with some thread. You would probably need at least one power-head, preferrably 2, one on each side (about $20 each). But, the first thing I would get is a phython no-spill unit and do away with the hauling of buckets, and then once you get the 75 set up, use the phython to drain at least 50% of the 37 gallon's water to help the cycling.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

go for a 220.........yeah

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

well yeah...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Ah, I feel better now. :) Like I have permission! As far as my partner, she knows nothing of my dastardly plan. She has one weakness that I may be able to exploit here........a weakness for a really, really good deal. I found a beautiful, glass, bowfront 75 gallon, black trim tank with a solid wood black stand, pewter hardware.....and all the equipment included, asking price $250. My angle will be a fundamental inability to pass up such a deal, whether I need the thing or not. She may be able to relate to that, on some level, maybe.

Canister filters?! SEE, that's why I asked about getting into a larger tank. I've haven't even seen one of these canister filters in person yet.

Hmmm.....no, 7 or 8 gallons of water isn't much to change with a bucket. :)

Zambize

13 posts • Page 1 of 2