Starfish Dying?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blinddrummer15

Starfish Dying?

by blinddrummer15

Just recently my chocolate starfish has been acting weird, it hasn't been moving around the tank as much and has sort of a slouchy look to him. Earlier today, he started leaking or having white stuff that looks like styrofoam. What is happening to him/ is he dying?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

move him to quarentine for sure. My old starfish curled up in a ball.......he did the same thing........barely ever moved and looked pretty bad. Ended up dying. :( you would have never known though........he got cleaned out of the tank faster than I put him in there.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea take him to a quarantine, he's dying probably due to changing water params or something minute. My blue linkia did the same and had to give him back to the pet store.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

By the way most starfish are VERY hard to keep. the smallest shifts in ph water temp or salinty will drive them crazy. If your up for the challenge go for it for sure. :)

blinddrummer15

by blinddrummer15

Yea, i think he died. Oh well. What kind of starfish can live in tanks with coral? I read that chocolate chip ones cannot.

gumbii

by gumbii

blue linkia... knot starfish... and i've seen some other types... like micro stars or something... i dunno...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

A brittle star can and so can a serpent star. I have a serpent in my tank.......he tolerates the slite swings pretty well. but he hides 90% of the time........you can only see about half an inch of a leg at any time, until you throw some food in there. AND BAM. hes all over the place getting food crawling on the glass and rocks. I love my serpent....its pretty cool and is very manuverable.Gets all the extra food off the bottom for sure....

blinddrummer15

by blinddrummer15

I really want another i liked my starfish.

schigara

by schigara

Fromia Starfish. I kept one for over a year in my first tank and didn't know squat about water chemistry, at the time.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

blue linkia are really pretty. i loved mine, it looked so cool. Too bad my tank just wasn't ready for him...

Starfish Dying?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2